Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

New stump installed, now lead-in to junction box cable tight (causing loss of connection)

I've had my Telstra NBN for years and it's been perfect. But this morning public housing had come and installed two new stumps under the house. They placed a stump right underneath the lead-in junction box (grey box) outside the home, they yanked one cable out (not sure what its for) and the two that are in there are SUPER tight due to the aluminium hat on top of the stump. 

I noticed my internet dropped out right at the time they were putting it in. Only now did I just see what it looks like. If I move the cable in the box Internet is on for a while, then the cable moves and I get disconnected. It looks like they've possibly bent something inside and due to there being absolutely ZERO slack now it's causing drop outs.

Do I contact NBN directly to get the box moved and cables fixed or Telstra first? I'm assuming the latter?

You can see in the first image how it's putting tension on the cable and it's being pushed out, before it used to go straight down never had an issue. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: New stump installed, now lead-in to junction box cable tight (causing loss of connection)

The aluminum cap might have cut into the cable. As a temporary solution you could try placing a piece of cardboard or plastic between coax cable and aluminum cap. Have you rung Telstra Support so that they can arrange for a NBN technician to be sent to fix the fault?

Highlighted

Re: New stump installed, now lead-in to junction box cable tight (causing loss of connection)

Just tried this now. Upon closer inspection the cable itself does not seem to be cut but I suspect it's been yanked (or bent) from the filter inside the box. Seeing they already pulled one cable out they probably attempted to pull out the other ones too. I haven't contacted Telstra yet but I will be sure to do so today. 

Careless work from them really. They could have simply moved the stump over maybe 70-90mm to the right and it would have been fine. 

Highlighted

So NBN want me to PAY to have the box moved 150-200mm to the left. I have a case manager in contact with NBN and they’re refusing to fix it! I guess if they don’t fix it by close of business Monday I will be calling the TIO. They said that it was installed in 2017 so my warranty is expired lol

Highlighted

Have you contacted public housing? It was there workmen or contractors who caused the fault so they should be responsible for paying for repairs.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit