nongshim
Level 1: Cadet

NightHawk AX12 with my NBN Coaxial

Answered

Hi, I'm not so tech saavy and don't know the correct words for the NBN type, so apologies. Will try to explain.

I'm planning to get NightHawk AX12 in replacement of the Telstra provided Arcadyn one because my house is fairly large, multistoried and is currently having issues with speed internally in the house. To the internet, I don't think I'm getting the full download speed. I'm subscribed to Ultrafast - NBN HFC Technology Type.

The NBN which I have is a coaxial type. So I've got a modem connected to the wall via coaxial then to the Telstra wifi router.

Will the NightHawk AX12 connect to the NBN in replacement of the Arcadyan LH1000 that I was provided. I'm asking because I saw that certain NBN types will not be able to do so.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: NightHawk AX12 with my NBN Coaxial

Short answer, yes, you can connect the ethernet cable from the NBN modem (NTD) to the WAN port on the AX12. But that might not be the whole solution..  if you connect most devices by Wi-Fi, then that might not actually improve, despite the modem claimed performance..

Another option for you to consider would be the Telstra Wi-Fi Guarantee..  this will give you up to 3 Wi-Fi 'Boosters' (Access Points or AP's) to improve the Wi-Fi coverage around your house. This distributes the Wi-Fi signal around the house better and reduces the distance between devices and the closest AP, reduced distance gives you better speed - generally speaking..

Have a look here - https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-booster

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You should be able to use the Nighthawk. Set it up for ISP does not require a login (Page 26 of manual)

It is only NBN FTTN and FTTB type connections that you would not be able to use the Nighthawk. For these types of connections a separate VDSL modem is required or router with a built in VDSL modem.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Short answer, yes, you can connect the ethernet cable from the NBN modem (NTD) to the WAN port on the AX12. But that might not be the whole solution..  if you connect most devices by Wi-Fi, then that might not actually improve, despite the modem claimed performance..

Another option for you to consider would be the Telstra Wi-Fi Guarantee..  this will give you up to 3 Wi-Fi 'Boosters' (Access Points or AP's) to improve the Wi-Fi coverage around your house. This distributes the Wi-Fi signal around the house better and reduces the distance between devices and the closest AP, reduced distance gives you better speed - generally speaking..

Have a look here - https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-booster

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

View solution in original post

nongshim

Actually, that might be a good idea. Can the current telstra router give handle lots of devices? I've got 3 TVs running and about 60 smart lights connected plus alexa, a playstation, PC games and zoom happening at once. Will the mesh give me a more stable and faster through put? 

SteveW_52

I have a smart modem and 2 boosters and about 150 connected devices at times..  and there is still another 100 IP addresses available. The 'Boosters' are connected by cable and I have a 3rd one that I use intermittently over Wi-Fi..  My preference for connections is cable if possible, but a lot of those device do use Wi-Fi and I have no issues with speed or buffering. Many of them don't actually have a heavy data payload at all.

My internet connection is HFC (cable) and on Superfast, the only limiting factor I find is the 25Mbps upload speed, which can impact video for Teams meetings occasionally (uploading high res video is the usual cause)..  otherwise streaming multiple movies or sport in HD is fine..  but, I don't do gaming, so that may be an area of concern..  but the point is that the limiting factor is not the modem or my network, but the internet service itself.

Stevo 52
nongshim

OK thanks. I think I'll give the booster a try. Split the wifi load a bit. No harm trying, I can always cancel Smiley Happy

Thanks for the insight.

SteveW_52

Placing the Boosters is critical - higher up is better..  and central to surrounding devices..

In my case the ones in heaviest use are connected by ethernet cable (TP-Link 2000Mb Powerline extenders actually), but that might not work for you..  The boosters are quite easy to setup.

If you get one, and that doesn't give you the coverage performance you want/need, then 'guarantee' offer will get you more devices for free.. 

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit