avneale
Level 1: Cadet

No ADSL while we wait for NBN?? No internet for over 6 MONTHS!!

We moved into a brand new house Dec 2016. In order to get the internet connected, we had to get the phone connected. I ordered a home phone line connection Jan 1 2017.  There was no NBN in our street and no indication that there was going to be at any time soon.

On Jan 10 2017 I put in an order for an ADSL internet bundle. As soon as my phone line connection was complete, my internet was then supposed to work.

I did not receive any dial tone until May 10 2017.  Yes, that's right: it took Telstra 18 weeks or 4.5 months to connect us!!!

In the meantime NBN has become available in our street.  Or so they say.

So once my phone line is working, I go to connect my internet. I'm told I cannot have ADSL, I must have NBN. My ADSL order is cancelled and a new NBN order created. I simply have to wait (another week and a bit) till the NBN technician comes (late I might add) to connect us up to NBN. 

Turns out our street is NOT NBN READY!!! And now we have to wait until JULY for NBN to recitify the problem in the street and then wait for another appointment for the NBN to hopefully connect us up.

Our house has the capability to receive ADSL internet but Telstra won't provide it for me in the interim while we wait for NBN to be available. They say "NBNCO restrict this service". Meanwhile, when I contact NBNCO they say they are NOT involved in connecting or disconnecting ADSL, that is the responsibility of my provider. I'm also assuming that all the houses around me that are still waiting for NBN are happily still using their ADSL in the meantime.

Why can't Telstra provide me with ADSL for the 8 weeks (at least!) that I will have to wait for NBN??

Am I supposed to simply rely on a prepaid dongle that charges $5-10 per GB!!??

I have contacted the Ombudsman in regard to this matter, but due to high volume of complaints to do with the NBN I will have to wait 2 weeks for them to respond!

HELP ME!!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: No ADSL while we wait for NBN?? No internet for over 6 MONTHS!!

Once NBN Co lists an area as ready for service, even if an issue prevents it from being connected the act adds restrictions on sales of new services and prevents certain types of changes occurring on existing services.

Once the area reaches it RFS date it starts the 18 months transition period. This details a set of dates and limitations including a cease sale of all older technologies (ADSL/CABLE) and only allowing NBN connections.

They can apply for an exception in certain situations but getting that actually done and completed has proven to be tedious at best.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

avneale
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks DrQ for your reply!

How do I go about applying for an exception? Is through Telstra or NBN? I accept that it will be tedious, but this whole process has been incrediblly tedious from the beginning, so I'm ready for it.

I personally think 6 months without providing me with internet surely is a good reason for making an exception!!

DrQ

You have to request to Telstra who then put in the request for the exception to NBN Co who from memory of what I read have up to 6 weeks to make a decision. Then it still needs to get migrated over to NBN the same as it would have anyway so a double up of fun.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Getting an exception put in place that would allow TelstraWholesale to proivder Telstra with a copper connection to the exchange is realatively easy for a Basic Phone service. Getting one for an ADSL service is next to impossible as that sort of exception is not technically allowed by the regulations. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi avneale The information provided by DrQ and Jupiter is bang on. Neither Telstra nor any other ISP can connect you with a new copper or fibre service once the cease sale kicks in as per the national agreement. This is a hard rule and doesn't take into account your individual or personal circumstances. That you've moved in the middle of a transition period is a bit of unfortunate timing or poor luck,  but it's unlikely to grant you an exception as it's not actually guaranteed that fixed broadband services will be available to all homes. In the meantime we can recommend having a look at the pre-paid mobile data options for your essential needs:  http://tel.st/5xle 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit