Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

No cable internet for a week, and no end in sight

On Wednesday last week our cable internet went down. The service outages page confirmed that "Yes, there's an outage at this location. It is affecting your internet service", and promised that services should be restored by the end of the end. Wednesday has passed, and the next day the same response was repeated---this time for services to be restored by the end of Thursday. This was repeated until Sunday, when it changed to "To be confirmed". Also, strangely, it now claimed that the cause is "An issue in the nbn network", which is confusing since we don't have nbn in our area (Randwick, NSW). Our service is a regular BigPond cable.

We are using internet in our home office for work, so this is not only incredibly frustrating but also costly. Telstra support have been unbelievably useless. I tried connecting to a chat, and after describing the above in detail, the agent wrote that he would check, only to say there is no block or reshaping on our account. Clearly he did not read what I wrote, and was less than useless. So now we are facing this continued cost, and have not the foggiest idea if anyone is trying to do anything about it, let alone when services should be restored. 

I would appreciate any advice if there is anything at all we can do to restore our service, to obtain some truthful information about what Telstra is or isn't doing about it, or to get compensation for the damage. Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: No cable internet for a week, and no end in sight

If NBN co own the cable service, which they buy off Telstra to prepare the area for NBN HFC they are the ones who maintain it. You'll need to wait until the outage is over for your internet service to come back on line then call billing about a credit on your bill for the days the service wasn't working. As cable internet services are consumer only services, to my knowledge you wouldn't be able to get any compensation in regards to lost business.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

O.k. Thank you! Does that mean that my best bet is to try and chase NBN ?! Is there any way I can tell what is happening with it? I believe the source of the outage is that the cable was damaged by some unrelated contractor.
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Generally, NBN Co will not deal with the end user, only the RSP(ie Telstra). If the cable has been cut, then NBN Co may need to source replacement cable.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thank you. That doesn't sound good. If that's the case, how long could it take for them to fix it? If this is relevant, it seems that they first diagnosed the problem on Sunday. Until then the information on the outage page was an expected resolution by the end of the day (every day, by the end of that day), and thencause was listed as unknown. On Sunday it changed to "An issue in the nbn™ network" with expected resolution "To be confirmed"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit