El1912
Level 1: Cadet

No Free to air channels

Answered

We have been connected to the NBN but we can’t get an free to air channels. Our builders have told us we need an aerial but they didn’t install one, Telstra support don’t understand what I’m talking about, and a TV Antenna company told us we don’t need an antenna because we are a ‘smart community’?!

We just want to watch normal TV and none of our TV’s will pick up any channels. Does anyone know how and where to look to see if we are a ‘smart community’ and if we need an aerial?

Super frustrated here 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: No Free to air channels

Telstra's responsibility ends at the ONT. All the cabling within the property is the owner/builder's responsibility.

If there are TV outlets (Foxtel is wired to a different outlet on the ONT), then they should just be able to plug a coaxial cable to it and the TV's antenna port and after a rescan they should be right to go.

The South Brisbane Exchange area was not a full Velocity rollout. It was planned as a replacement of the phone/internet service, nothing more (an interim solution due to the lack of capacity at the South Brisbane Exchange).

@El1912 go to https://nbnco.com.au and type your address into the search. If it comes up saying that your property is serviced by another provider, then you are most likely in a Telstra Velocity area. If it says FTTN, FTTC, FTTP or HFC, then you are on an NBN connection and you definitely need an Antenna to get FTA TV.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

What are you wanting to watch the FTA TV channels on? What devices do you have - TV? PC? Tablet? Foxtel?

I haven't had much to do with 'Smart Communities' but in 2017/18 I don't remember any infrastructure solution for TV channels, but that might have changed since then. If that service was provided as part of the 'Smart Community' initiative, I would expect that an 'antenna' point would be provided as a matter of course, unless FTA was being delivered by streaming.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

"Smart Communities" = Telstra Velocity

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Yes, I know. Didn't want to confuse the OP. As I said when I last had some involvement with them, FTA TV channels weren't part of the fit out..  has that changed?

Stevo 52
Jupiter

FTA TV has always been part of the Telstra Velocity Fitout, since its inception. The signal was carried over the Fibre and then converted by the Velocity ONT and connected to dedicated Antenna/TV ports.

See telstra-velocity-home-wiring-guide.pdf for details.

SteveW_52

Yes @Jupiter that was the original concept, but roll out in some areas of Brisbane at least, did NOT include digital TV signal initially - documents at the time included the wording "and digital TV (where available)"..  and some Velocity areas didn't get it..  but outlets marked Foxtel were and Foxtel boxes could be connected. So retro fitted antennas were required for FTA..  that was in 2016/17/18 I think... 

But none of that history will assist the OP? Who is responsible for providing the ONT and other equiment nowdays? If there are 'Foxtel/TV' outlets in the new residence I assume they would carry FTA and just require a fly lead from that point to the antenna of whichever device they want to view FTA on?

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Telstra's responsibility ends at the ONT. All the cabling within the property is the owner/builder's responsibility.

If there are TV outlets (Foxtel is wired to a different outlet on the ONT), then they should just be able to plug a coaxial cable to it and the TV's antenna port and after a rescan they should be right to go.

The South Brisbane Exchange area was not a full Velocity rollout. It was planned as a replacement of the phone/internet service, nothing more (an interim solution due to the lack of capacity at the South Brisbane Exchange).

@El1912 go to https://nbnco.com.au and type your address into the search. If it comes up saying that your property is serviced by another provider, then you are most likely in a Telstra Velocity area. If it says FTTN, FTTC, FTTP or HFC, then you are on an NBN connection and you definitely need an Antenna to get FTA TV.

View solution in original post

El1912

Thank you for your help, much appreciated 

El1912

Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit