MrMarc101
Level 1: Cadet

No NBN connection and mobile data backup not working.

My NBN was switched over (forcibly by Telstra) from an existing cable connection 3 days ago. It was working fine up until this morning when I suddenly have no internet connection. When logging in to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, it says that's its running in backup mode, i.e. mobile data connection, but I'm still not able to access the internet. The light on the front of the smart modem is currently blue. I've done power cycles on both the NBN connection box and the Smart modem to no avail. The DSL and LAN lights on the NBN connection box are not illuminated at the moment. 

Chat support have so far not been able to resolve the issue, but the fact that the mobile backup connection isn't working, despite the fact that it says it is, the only conclusion I can come to is the smart modem may be faulty, or their is an issue on the Telstra network (have checked, but no outages have been reported in my area)

Any suggestions of any other possible fixes?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: No NBN connection and mobile data backup not working.

Try the Telstra Troubleshooting tool

MrMarc101

Already tried all of that before my epic 3 hour chat support session. After going around in circles for the first 90 minutes, the support team tried to sign me up from scratch for NBN, including sending me out a modem and scheduling a technician to come out to install it, despite the fact that it was installed on Friday.

The level 2 tech informed me that my NBN connection had been cancelled in error instead of them terminating my old cable connection, and the only way to fix this is to sign up again for an NBN plan. Has been the most frustrating support experience of my life out of any company I've ever had to deal with. Such a great way to spend my day off.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

You could try removing the cable from the red WAN port on the modem and waiting several minutes to see if the modem switches to 4G backup mode (Blue indicator). I have experience a sort of phantom connection between the NBN box and the modem which confuses the modem.

In 4G mode, if it connects the modem may go through one or more firmware updates..  so it might take a while to settle down to a steady Blue indicator..

If the service is in fact cancelled, that might not work but it is worth a try?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
MrMarc101

I tried that early on in the troubleshooting process. Unfortunately Telstra made the stupid mistake of terminating the wrong connection and are in the process of placing a new order for NBN to get me back up and running. Luckily, they didn't cancel the actual connection they were meant, so I still have my cable in the mean time, and their assurances that it won't be terminated prematurely again, like it was 3 days before my NBN was connected. If it does get disconnected before the NBN is re-connected, I will be immediately cancelling all my Telstra services and making a formal complaint with the TCO. 1 mistake is understandable, but this second one is inexcusable and has cost me 4.5 hours of my day, a 3rd mistake will cost Telstra mine and my families business for good.

As frustrating as the 24x7 tech support chat was, the Twitter mods are definitely helpful and should have things resolved shortly.

SteveW_52

You said initially that the indicator was blue, so that would mean you are connected on 4G? So it might just be that you might need to change the PDP tye to IPv4V6 in the LTE settings of the modem, to get full connectivity?

Do devices connect to the modem by ethernet or Wi-Fi OK?

Which Twitter mods???

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra conducts official customer support on Social Media through their Facebook and Twitter account, unlike on Crowdsupport where they aren't allowed to access customer information.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter I know that...  but is the OP talking about suggested 'modifications', or the 'moderators' on Twitter (who would be probably be support staff rather than actual moderators)?? The meaning is unclear because of the abbreviation.

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit