contactchris
Level 5: Eagle Eye

No NBN Since Sunday - Is this the best support Telstra can offer?

The Symptoms  - Continuous Drop Outs - at least 50 times a day. The cycle - Mostly it appears fully connected but no Internet. Sometime weak 4G, and mostly flashing Downstream or flashing Online.  

The outcome below. 

Telephone Support - non-existent? 

I called the Tech Support 4 times, on hold for 20 - 30 minutes each call to be hung up on the same way each time. No operator integration whatsoever.

Chat Messenger - or whatever its meant to be? 

Then I spent the first 3 hours on chat seeing the operator is telling me how much they want to resolve the issue without asking a single question - I was providing detailed information regardless and not a single question or word of help over the first 3 hours. It was THE worst.

The Outcome - If you can call it that.

In the 4th hour, there was a total of 5 minutes of very limited help dragged instruction (over an hour), resulting in a Modem Restart the providing the MAC address of the modem. That was it. They confirmed I have a problem in less than 5 minutes that took me 6 hours. I believe they now handball the issue to NBN - they think job done - but still no internet. So bad.

WHY did that simple interaction take 6 hours?  Still No Internet.

Telstra, I took a copy of the interaction if you are interested to show you how bad it was.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No NBN Since Sunday - Is this the best support Telstra can offer?

When you have a fault, go to https://fix.telstra.com.au and run through the troubleshooting and remote tests there. It saves a lot of time and will put you through to a consultant at the end (who can see the test results) for further investigation and/or booking an NBN Co technician to come out. You can do this from your mobile if you need to.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
contactchris

Yes did that. 

It directed me to a ‘consultant’ who led me on a 4 hour goose chase that culminated in an 5 minute interaction that determined the internet doesn’t work.

Are you aware that you make it sound as effortless as Telstra misleads the public to believe? The indisputable truth is the Telstra support processes is broken. Phone Support and Chat Support support journey is broken and an awful experience for customers. The sooner Telstra realises this the better. 

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

@contactchris wrote:

The Symptoms  - Continuous Drop Outs - at least 50 times a day. The cycle - Mostly it appears fully connected but no Internet.

When it does appear to be connected, run a speed test using https://speedtest.telstra.com/

The results could be useful in furthering your case.

contactchris

hi.  Thanks.

the results while it was up 

ping 13 ms

download is 38.4 Mbps

Upload 2.5 Mbps

what do we learn from that moment?

Dowser

@contactchris wrote:

what do we learn from that moment?

Consider it a base line for when the connection works.

You mentioned that you have “Continuous Drop Outs - at least 50 times a day. The cycle - Mostly it appears fully connected but no Internet”.

I would repeat the speed test throughout the day taking notes of speed.

It would be useful in arguing your case that there is an intermittent problem.

Jupiter

Your uploads are lower than they should be is the main thing to take away from that (they should be in the 15-20Mbps range). That is a good indicator of a fault and may be the reason why your connection is not working properly - you need upload capability for downloads to work.

I never said that it was a good system, I just said that going via the https://fix.telstra.com.au site first saves a lot of time. Unfortunately it sounds like you got a consultant who needs some more training. Most of them are quite good, may need some prodding occasionally, but it should never take 4 hours to get to the conclusion that there is a problem. They should have checked the test results, maybe asked a couple of questions and then raised a ticket with NBN Co for further investigation.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
contactchris

Now it’s zero speed. Solid Power LED and flashing Downstream. That’s it, It drops out.
it might go back to 4 Solid LEDs with no internet.
Then switches to it 4G back up Blue led on the WiFi is 14Kbps 

Cycles through those 4 states 50 times a day. 
Nothing more, nothing less. No point messing speed really.

It’s a case of rinse and repeat. 

Jupiter

It's either a line fault or a cable converter fault (both of which are NBN Co's domain). Contact Telstra again and request that an NBN Co technician be sent out. They will tell you that there will be a charge if the fault is found to be with your equipment, but with those symptoms I'd be pretty confident that there will be no charge for the callout.

contactchris

Yes. I’ve had to start another Chat with the ‘service’ team in some distant land. Torturous as it will be. The phones at Telstra don’t seem to work to receive normal support calls. It will take them minutes to address after they drag it out over chat for several hours.  

plumtreed
Level 6: Bloodhound

To contactchris

......easypeasy      

It's either a line fault or a cable converter fault (both of which are NBN Co's domain). Contact Telstra again and request that an NBN Co technician be sent out. They will tell you that there will be a charge if the fault is found to be with your equipment, but with those symptoms I'd be pretty confident that there will be no charge for the callout.

Toughest part is contacting Telstra......and request a techs visit!!!!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit