Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

No stable broadband until NBN rolled out in June 2020 - I live with 4 teenagers!!!

Answered

I have been having many issues with my Telstra broadband in Schofields, NSW (as in weeks and weeks on the back up modem data) and I have finally been contacted by an international case manager saying that she cannot guarantee that the broadband connectivity will improve until NBN is live...and that is estimated to happen in June 2020!!!!  My options:

1) They will give me a on going minimal credit until it is rectified...but there still is unlikely to be stable connection for the next year.  So I will still be paying $50 basically to run off 4G on a slow speed.

2) Cancel and find another broadband supplier - there is none, Telstra are the only ones with infrastructure 

3) Cancel and live with no internet other than phone data (keep in mind 4 teenagers and our current plan which we use most of is 1.5TB/month) but we need internet for Foxtel anyway 

I am seriously dumbfounded, my take is that Telstra won’t pay to fix the broadband issue with NBN being rolled out.  Not worth it.  And I am really stuck.  They didn’t suggest adsl2 but is it likely to have the same issues and can 4-6 people stream off that at once?

I am so, so, so angry right now...in the last month we just transferred 5 mobile plans back to Telstra.  I am hating that I have done this....HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: No stable broadband until NBN rolled out in June 2020 - I live with 4 teenagers!!!

4-6 People Streaming on ADSL isn't going to work unless your close to the exchange line length wise and your only watching standard definition streams that use about 3.5mbps.

Are you currently on a Telstra Cable Connection?

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: No stable broadband until NBN rolled out in June 2020 - I live with 4 teenagers!!!

4-6 People Streaming on ADSL isn't going to work unless your close to the exchange line length wise and your only watching standard definition streams that use about 3.5mbps.

Are you currently on a Telstra Cable Connection?

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yes, for the last 4 years. that is what Telstra has told us that they can’t guarantee that will work...it worked ok up untill a couple of months ago. And I’ve been chasing Telstra for the last two weeks and only finally today they told me that they can’t guarantee it will be fixed until nbn comes in June 2020. Honestly this is crazy

Highlighted

This is because NBN have bought the Telstra HFC cable and are currently actively re-building / renovating it. Telstra's current ability to use a smaller part of it is causing your issues. Telstra is not to blame.... and I'm not an employee or contractor.  If the original NBN plan was left in place we would be getting a brand new fibre system.... not a hotch-potch of 30 or 40  year old obsolete technologies.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Not sure if that is the case here. We spoke to some Telstra workers who were trying to fix the problem and originally thought it was bec of same cable that they could see that was visually kinked. But not the cause. They then were trying to feed a guide wire up through to the next Telstra porthole but could only get 50m and it was then stuck. So I think there is an issue, I agree with old wiring, but Telstra not fixing. Thus not a case of only being able to use a small part of it. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit