ToniHoward
Level 1: Cadet

Not receiving Bigpond emails

From the 30th March, 2021, I stopped receiving emails to my Bigpond email account.  After 6 attempts at getting support from Telstra, I am still no closer to a fix.  Any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Re: Not receiving Bigpond emails

What method are you using to access your email account?.

- try an alternative such as Webmail or an email client such as Microsoft Outlook, to check if the emails are on the server.

Also, try sending test emails to your email address.

BrayParkUser
Level 4: Private Eye

I've had the same issue, I use Thunderbird for my emails and for some reason the Telstra emails just stopped working.  I can still get them through Webmail however.

Dowser

Check the server settings in Thunderbird.

Use the settings recommended at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

It states therein 

• IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers.
PhantomGWW
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Tony -I am not a tech savvy person but always seek answers -may frustrate some tech experts with my questioning.  If not resolved as yet - This happend to me I sought some info from NSW Gove - when I phoned their No. a young girl (brilliant and had an Irish accent -lovely to listen to) Told her I got e-mail she said 'Bigpond' has blocked a No of e-mails due to ?????? scam ????

Action - said:-

-get to settings (right hand side top) then as below. Go into 'Mail' and she gave me some e-mail addresses (I think specific for me)

About 7 minutes later -- bingo

I also noted this is area to block e-mails. 

I have no Idea what other heading are for. 

Hope it helps.  The Phantom GWW 

SETTINGS
Time Zone & Date
Mail
Signature
Add email account
Auto-reply
Auto-forward
Safe senders
Blocked senders
Organise inbox
Block images
Calendar
Contacts

BrayParkUser
Level 4: Private Eye

Thanks, but I've done that about a dozen times.  What it also doesn't answer is that it was working perfectly for over a year but on the 11/4 it just stopped working.

I'm also on an original bigpond account so IMAP won't work for me apparently, I have to use POP.

What I suspect the issue is that I am using a VPN, and Telstra doesn't seem to like people doing that.  When I connect via a hotspot to my phone (which bypasses the VPN) then it works.  For now I'm just using webmail, which isn't the ideal situation for me.

Dowser

My Bigpond email address is over a decade old & originally had the form myname@elstra.com it’s so ancient Smiley Happy

I use IMAP on the iPhone and computer (which previously used POP).

Have you tried setting up mail on your phone using IMAP?. - just to test if IMAP can actually work on your account 

Also, IMAP uses different ports to POP so it might have more success getting through your VPN.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit