Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Occasional days with impossibly huge usage on cable broadband

We are on a 200GB monthly plan and use half to most of it. Two weeks ago we got a spike of 122GB in one day when the connection was used for only 2 hours. 50GB of that was supposed to have been at slowed rate. Telstra immediately agreed that was impossible and reset the usage to zero. Daily usage since has been 0.3 to 10GB. Now today, I am looking at our usage on MyAccounts on the web and see an unrated usage of 359GB with a total usage for the day of 396GB !!! That is surely impossible. No one has been home from 5AM until 2 hours ago. The two laptops have usage meters and show normal usage rates.

We have a Telstra NetGear Bigpond Cable Home wifi Modem at the end of the cable. We have considered someone has hacked our router, but that rate of usage seems impossible even for that. Nevertheless, we just changed both the admin and user passwords. What else could explain this usage?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Occasional days with impossibly huge usage on cable broadband

Oh well. One hour later the usage for today dropped back to 37GB. The unrated usage has dropped massively to 1.8GB. We still think the 37GB is itself impossible, but that is a lot better than 396GB showing an hour ago.

Something strange is going on.
Highlighted

Sure is strange. Apologies for a third post, but I switched between the monthly account display, and then the back to the detailed May month display, and the 359GB reappeared for today's unrated usage! Telstra has a software problem methinks.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bellwood,

Sorry for the lack of a reply on this matter. Did tech support actually open an investigation into this issue, and give you a reference number of any kind?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

I reported this as an issue previosuly and took two phone calls where the person at the other end had no idea what I was trying to explain to them.

So I just gave up and accepted it as a defect.

Basically if you look at the current month report broken down by day and then go to another month, when you return to the current month it's added all your usgae to date and shows it as the total on the latest day as unrated.Jun Before.png

June After.png

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit