Level 1: Cadet

OLD TELSTRA CABLE IN GROUND

Answered

When I had NBN connected underground to the house, they had to run a new conduit and the old Telstra cable was left in the ground. Can I disconnect the old Telstra cable? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: OLD TELSTRA CABLE IN GROUND

That would probably be a question that needs to be directed to NBN Co as that asset is most likely owned by them now.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Accepted Solution

That would probably be a question that needs to be directed to NBN Co as that asset is most likely owned by them now.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Thanks but I'm still waiting for a reply from both Telstra and NBN for an answer.

It is probably safe to disconnect (confirmation from NBN Co would be better), but to be safe, you might want to get a licenced cabler to do it. They would be able to properly terminate the cable at the boundary to your property and it would keep you out of trouble.

Level 21: Augmented

Is there a reason you want to remove the old cable? Is it causing any problems where it is? 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

I had to run a new stormwater pipe between both cables. I could see the newer conduit however the old conduit had a black uncovered cable going into the house. I was concerned that the Telstra one may still have power to it. In any case I put the stormwater pipe between both to be safe lol.

Nice to see non-compliant cabling. It should be at least 300mm below the surface.

Your PVC pipe is going to need some protection as well. It's too close to the surface to prevent damage to it. A loaded wheelbarrow going over it at that depth could easily crack it (and the phone conduit).

Level 21: Augmented

Did the property every have Foxtel connected? That could be a direct burial underground co-ax for Foxtel/HFC. Or just copper..  either way, if a new lead-in of either type was put in it is likely (but admittedly not entirely certain) that the cable would be isolated at the wall box and in the pit on the street. Any 'voltage' would be isolated accordingly.

This same scenario happened here after they fixed the corroded splitters in the pit (high acid sulphate levels + non underground devices used) that WERE leaking voltage to the external body of the internal wall connectors in several houses along the street - all lead ins were replaced, old cable disconnected and left dead at each end. My cable service has been great ever since - nearly 9 years now.

If you feel happier, you could remove the old cable, but as suggested, use a licensed cabler to do it, for regulatory reasons - if you sell up one day, then that is something an inspection might discover. Otherwise if it isn't causing problems you can just leave it as is..  another pipe to the local pit might come in handy one day.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit