korn_shelle
Level 2: Rookie

outbound smtp from static IP blocked

I'm on bigpond business with a static IP. Running own exchange server on my premises.

Outbound emails suddenly blocked this morning around 9am. Emails to bigpond addresses sent OK.

On my email server, telnet to external email server on port 25 times out. This test used to work.

Anyone else having this problem? I've spent 80mins on the phone trying to explain my situation but they just don't understand. They then try to transfer me to bigpond business. After waiting a few minutes, I end up in either residental or billing support. This went on for about 10 times....a few try to help but  they only advise me to check my outlook client and ensure that it is using bigpnd mail servers for outbound emails.

Can anyone from telstra please check that my IP hasn't been restricted from connecting out on tcp25??

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: outbound smtp from static IP blocked

Referring to https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5562 :

BigPond manages the use of port 25 to send emails to prevent spammers sending unsolicited email using our network. We're committed to providing the best mail service possible for our Members, and managing the use of this port will help ensure we can provide the same efficient delivery of your BigPond email that you’ve come to expect, as well as blocking spammers from clogging up mailboxes worldwide.

What does this mean for me?
If you have set up your email application (e.g. Microsoft Outlook) to send email using our BigPond mail server (mail.bigpond.com), you use WebMail, or use a third party web-based email service (e.g. Hotmail), you won’t be affected.

If you have set up your email application to send email using an alternate provider or you run your own mail server, you won’t be able to send email using port 25 unless you are exempted.

Who is exempted?
Only Members with a BigPond Static IP service, including BigPond Satellite, are not affected.

For more information about our Static IP solutions:

For a simple dial-up solution, any of the BigPond Business Dial-Up plans will be appropriate:

You should not be blocked, however I'm not sure who would handle this sort of issue. I'll flag your post to the Tech Moderators to see if they can flag the issue.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

korn_shelle

Thanks Ben!

If you could that would be great!

I estimate that the 80min call last night to the 13 technical support number would have cost me about $100 on my rates so I'm not keen to call them again only to get the same run around.

I checked this morning and connecting out on port 25 is still not happening.

What account info should I provide here or should I wait for reply/email requesting details?

Thanks again

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

might seem a bit left field but have you rebooted your router? I had a very similar issue at a site last week where the customer had spent three hours with two different software vendors trying to get outgoing mail working and both had drawn a blank and said it must be the ISP blocking it, rebooted the router and it worked immediately
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
danny_G
Level 1: Cadet

I've got this exact problem as well (starting in the last few days I believe)

I'm able to telnet to mail.bigpond.com.au however cannot get to another address (eg. mail.tpg.com.au). I can confirm these services are working from non-bigpond connections..

This is also using a business connection with a static IP.

Any assistance would be great, this has a big impact for us (given we host exchange locally)

If you need any other information let me know.

Ben_F

I've flagged this thread, please don't share account info unless you are private messaged Smiley Happy

New Users - Click Here!

jokiin

if not an isolated incident then more likely to be a backend problem that Telstra will need to look into
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Lathania

To be somewhat blunt, chances are it's an issue with your firewall or setup. I've heard literally hundreds of claims of similar issues over the past few years and it's never been an issue on Telstra's end.

One of the mods will get one of the TS staff to comment here if you've flagged it but they can only raise it to engineering who will likely say the same thing unless they can replicate it.

Happy to be wrong however Smiley Happy
Lathania

I've rebooted my modem (Billion BiPAC 7404VNOX with the firewall disabled) .

I've rebooted my firewall (ISA2006 with 2 interfaces - internal and external)

ISA default gateway on the external interface is the Billion and connects directly to it.

I've run wireshark on my firewall.

Wireshark shows sync packets leaving the external interface but nothing coming back when hitting for example mx3.hotmail.com port 25.

As expected, Wiresharks shows successful connection when hitting extmail.bigpond.com  on port 25.

How can I confirm that the Billion is not dropping requests to/replies from other smtp servers on the WAN side?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Korn_Shelle,

If you are receiving messages from SpamHaus regarding your IP being blocked, please review this Knowledge Base as it should assist you. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

danny_G
Level 1: Cadet

Shelly,

I ran a check of the spamhaus and similar blacklists just incase and I couldn't find an entry for the domain I'm working with.

Even with this type of block I would've also expected to be able to establish a connection to some locations.

I've setup a temporary workaround to use mail.bigpond.com.au as a relay host so I can send emails again, however I'd rather move back to our old configuration and send mail directly. The connection we're using has a static IP and based off the related telstra support material i've found... it should be able to send direct.

As noted earlier.... I can telnet to mail.bigpond.com.au:25, however other locations like mail.tpg.com.au:25 fail.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Danny_G,

I think I have a better understanding of the problem you are having, but let me know if I am still off-base.

Regardless of who hosts the email account that you are connecting through, the outgoing mail server that you have configured needs to match that of the service provider that you are using at that time to access the internet.

So if you have BigPond at work and TPG at home, you would need to adjust the email settings according to where you are connected from.

The most notable exception would be if you had a domain such as danny@dannyg.com which would allow you to set your outgoing mail server as smtp.dannyg.com as an example. 

In some cases you can select the option that the outgoing mail server requires authentication, and use the same login details of each email account.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ben_F

*facepalm*

Shelly, the OP runs a Mail Server over his connection with a Static IP Address. Based on the link I provided, they should be able to send emails out via Port 25, and they can't.

Danny I'm assuming has the same setup from what he said.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

korn_shelle

Shelley, thanks for posting. Hope I don't sound rude, but you are off base.
I've already checked and my email domain is not blacklisted.
Even it were, my email server should still be able to connect the recipient smtp servers on port 25. this connection needs to happen so that the recipient email server, if subscribed to such services, can determine whether to reject the email message. my email server would then indicate that the delivery was rejected.

It sounds to me that you are describing settings for email clients to connect to their email service provider. This isn't the context of the problem. My users have no problem conFnecting to my email server.

As Ben has reiterated, my email server can't establish a connection to the recipient email servers on TCP port 25 in order to deliver the emails messages sent by the clients.

You are nearly there with your notable exception example, but you should focus on how that smtp server would connect to the recipient email server. Then you would See the problem we are facing right now.

Is it possible to determine if there were any network changes around 9am on 5th Nov, which is when this problem started to occur?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Korn_Shelle and Danny_G,

Thanks for perservering with me, I am sending you a private message with a link to the online form.

If you could provide your account and contact details I will get this issue raised with the relevant areas.

korn_shelle

Thanks Shelley,

Final posting for closure and to confirm that engineers did contact me and were able to resolve whatever it was. Didn't have a chance to ask what was the resolution.

If you readily have access to the problem ticket and able to see what was the cause, perhaps you could post? Smiley Happy

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi korn_shelle,

I am glad to hear that this has now been resolved for you. 

The engineers didn't give any specific details about the cause so unfortunately I have nothing to pass on with this one.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit