AndrewLD7
Level 2: Rookie

Packet Loss and High Latency Bigpond Ultimate

Hi,

I have already had two calls for the exact same thing in last two months. Both times going for a week or longer it has been fixed. The problem then reappears and I have to call Tesltra again.

Last two nights (and sure it will continue like last times) my connection has suffered from Packet Loss and Jitter (pingtest.net). Normally notice while playing games when have huge latency spikes then go to pingtest to verify.

Test I just ran shows

12% Packet Loss, 21ms ping, 26ms Jitter.

Is there anyone who can fix permenantly?

Don't really feel like calling the helpdesk, who will ask me to reset my modem (which I have done), play with the cables (which I have done) and then tell me they will send a technician who will do something to fix temporarily.

Thanks,

Andrew

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
RAE1

Re: Packet Loss and High Latency Bigpond Ultimate

Hi Andrew,

The same problem but starting on the weekend and progressivly getting worse daily  

I have reset the modem, unpluged the T Box etc, etc

Using PINGTEST.net, over 20mins my figures run from:

Time 12.06 gmt, Ping 21ms ,  Jitter 0,    Grade B

Time 12.18 gmt, Ping 310ms, Jitter 558, Grade F*

back to 

TIme 12.22 gmt, Ping 27ms,   Jitter 8,     Grade A

All making any surfing or gaming almost impossable  

Like you, I wish somebody could sort out  a permenant solution to this problem.

Allan

AndrewLD7

Also tested switching to Bridge mode and cabling direct to PC as well as cabling to another router then PC but still nothing changed.

Disconnected everything except the PC to the Telstra router just to check if anything else may be causing problems but no such luck.

tre
Level 1: Cadet

Where abouts are you guys located? I'm in 2147 and been having packet loss/high latency since Sunday, service status seems to indicate a problem on and off in the area.

Modem stats are fine and i can ping the modem address fine but anything on the net seems to have high latency and packet loss:

Pinging the modem/router address:

--- 192.168.100.1 ping statistics ---
27 packets transmitted, 27 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.451/0.784/2.459/0.532 ms

Pinging google:

--- google.com.au ping statistics ---
27 packets transmitted, 21 packets received, 22.2% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 318.253/428.684/492.513/49.032 ms

AndrewLD7

I am at 4066.

Getting worse now.

Started last night on pingtest at 3-6% packet loss and only connecting to Brisbane for the tests.

Then started flicking to Sydney and Melbourne and up to 18% packet loss, 206ms ping, 400ms jitter.

Still happening as of this morning.

Called helpdesk and was assured that third technician could pick up the faults of the previous two and fix.

Not sure I believe that logic.

Booked for Monday so weekend of flaky internet ahead.

Renee
Level 21: Augmented

Heya AndrewLD7,

Let us know how you go with the Tech visit, if you need any further assistance, we're happy to help.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AndrewLD7

Renee,

Tech came and advised that since router, cables and isolator already replaced he would be referring to next level support.

As to why I wasted a day for someone to turn up and tell me what I already knew is beyond me.

Dealing with overseas support is a nightmare, dealing with techs has been hit and miss and dealing with crowdsupport has been fairly pointless as I did not receive a single response until I advised I was being take care of.

The one light in my journey was dealing with one of the customer relationship people when I complained after the first failed attempt at fixing this issue. Extremely professional, updated me on status, provided call backs when he said he would etc etc

If you can track down that person (forgot their name) and give them an award for customer service it would be good. More of those type of people can only be a good thing.

Andrew

AndrewLD7

1 week later I have not heard from a single person.

Spoken to helpdesk a few times and raised a complaint request, still nothing.

On a side note have found a thread at whirlpool where there is another customer advising they have the exact same problem at 4066.

This lends evidence to the fact that there is probably congestion/overload at 4066 especially since it is worst at night.

One day I will hear from Telstra.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AndrewLD7,

The help desk will send a technician out to check the network between the outlet in your home and the tap on the street, which is not something that customers are able to do. From this point, if the tech identifies that the fault lies between the tap and the greater network, then he will escalate this so that it can be investigated.

I will be happy to have this looked into further (and escalated if necessary) and will send you a private message shortly where you can provide your information securely.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit