dawzy
Level 2: Rookie

Packet loss on Telstra HFC NBN

Answered

Hi All,

Over the last week I have been experiencing upstream packet loss across a couple of online games (of that I can see), both Fortnite & PUBG are the only examples where I have both had problems and seen it during actual gameplay. I'd normally see the odd rare spike in packet loss, however I have been seeing anything between 1%-4% spikes constantly every 1-2 seconds. Numbers aside, it does make gaming for the house quite jumpy and causes problems/drop outs with voice chat.

I put my thinking cap on performed a number of troubleshooting steps including restarting everything on the network, this included unplugging the modem from the power for roughly 30 seconds. I have a Ubiquiti 8 port switch so I unplugged everything except for the WAN and access point to leave only one device on the network to isolate. I thought perhaps my Ubiquiti router had failed so I disconnected that and ran PingPlotter directly from the Telstra router via an Ethernet cable and had a number of failed packets reaching the last hop across all tests.

Here are the three of the tests I performed, one of them was to the quality of service server for Epic games in Aus.
https://imgur.com/a/Bvr6UT6

I'm not really sure what to do at this point apart from contacting Telstra directly. In our area there was a planned network update which didn't fix anything and there is another on the 10th of September. From the tests it indicates that there is a problem down the line and therefore I thought others might've been experiencing the same issues.

Happy to consider other troubleshooting options or other tests to perform to narrow down the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dawzy
Accepted Solution

Re: Packet loss on Telstra HFC NBN

Just as an update for those who may come across this post with similar issues. 

We had reported the issue to Telstra who acknowledged the issue, we received an email from Telstra around a week later notifying us that a recent network fault was detected and we were credited the duration of which the fault supposedly occurred. 

The router logs no longer constantly show "WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1".

Our connection as been working as normal with no packet loss and our upload speeds are normal. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

The problem is in the Amazon Web Services network (who host the Epic servers).

I get the similar results from my non-Telstra connection. Once your traffic hits the Amazon network, the packet losses start.

You will need to contact Epic and get them to investigate the problem with Amazon

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
dawzy

Thanks Jupiter,

The packet loss goes away once I hotspot from my Telstra mobile, it’s the only way I can play the games. Which my guess indicates the problem is on Telstra or NBN’s side?

Jupiter

My connection isn't on the Telstra network and it's not an NBN connection, so it's pretty safe to say it's a problem with the Amazon gateways.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
dawzy

Having just performed a Speedtest we're getting 100mbps down and only 0.2mbps up, where as yesterday I was getting 20mbps. I think there's something else happening with the network. 

I checked our Telstra router logs and I'm getting a lot of "WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1" which I believe indicates the connection is failing. 

Do you know much about these log messages?

dawzy
Accepted Solution

Just as an update for those who may come across this post with similar issues. 

We had reported the issue to Telstra who acknowledged the issue, we received an email from Telstra around a week later notifying us that a recent network fault was detected and we were credited the duration of which the fault supposedly occurred. 

The router logs no longer constantly show "WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1".

Our connection as been working as normal with no packet loss and our upload speeds are normal. 

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit