Williamdib
Level 3: Gumshoe

Packet loss pc Fortnite

NBN HFC Connection. 100down-20up
Running speed test= 100-120down, 18-28 up and 6-8ms

I've tried everything from modem and router resets, flush dns, cloud flare dns, everything is updated, bought new ethernet cables cat 6, have a new high end gaming pc, network reset, and followed several hundreds of YouTube videos to help and nothing has.

I've complained to Telstra for the past 4 months and no one can help me, which I find is a joke.

In game ping from 30-1100 (which is disgusting) when Oceania servers in game settings shows constant (5-10ms)

Packet loss in game, up and down constant fluctuation of 20-70% loss!

I'm attaching ping plotter results to the server and is showing loss especially after peak time 10:30pm test @4/11/20. if I test morning to 9pm the results will be 2-5x worse

I done a ping plotter for google and also receiving a loss!!game servergoogle

Any of you high tier Techs out there that can help save me from this dilemma PLEASE!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Packet loss pc Fortnite

From the ping plot trace it appears that the problem is occurring on the second hop which is the NBN link. I don't know how you can convince Telstra to send a tech. The problem is not due to your local network or the PC being overloaded as there is no loss on the first hop.

If you have the Gen 2 modem you could try adding the game optimiser to your modem. It is available in the My Telstra app under extras. The first month is free.

https://www.telstra.com.au/entertainment/gaming/game-optimiser

Williamdib

Game optimizer isn't Released yet according to Telstra! I have been arguing and chatting to them for the past several days and haven't received any sort of help! 

I'm still receiving loss games are unplayable Smiley Sad

AmberSC
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hey Williamdib, are you having trouble loading other internet pages and sites or just with online gaming/streaming? You can check for any known outages in your area that may be affecting this online here (https://tel.st/htksx). There's also a troubleshooting tool to test your connection for faults here (https://tel.st/85l54). 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Williamdib

No outages and yes, even when I'm watching Netflix several minutes of watching it goes into loading mode on the tv but doesn't load so I have to reset the internet!!

This is a joke!  almost 5 months now and no one can help me.

TanashaM
Support Team
Support Team

When you tried the troubleshooting tool what was the result? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

cf4

Game optimizer has been available for the Technicolor Gen 2 modem (DJA0231) for the past couple of weeks, it is now available on the Arcadyan modem (LH1000). If you are having trouble with netflix as well I don't think game optimizer will solve the problem. The game optimizer does have a Connection benchmark which will show up any problems with the connection. The ping plotter has already indicated a problem, it will be interesting to see if Telstra's online tools also indicate a problem.

Williamdib

your link wouldn't allow me to open it!!!?

Williamdib

I just received the game optimiser add on, on the my Telstra app. I've been trying to activate it for the past 3 hours and nothing is happening tried resetting and restarting the modem and still nothing, any suggestions? 

cf4

This happened to me when I first tried to activate the game optimizer. Had to try several times. I think it took 24 hours before it finaly worked.

JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Hi there, broadband speeds may be lower due to:

• the website you’re visiting and their servers;

• Wi-Fi is less reliable than an Ethernet cable;

• the speed tier you are on;

• in-premise wiring;

• network capacity and network traffic;

• the nbn technology type at your premises;

• where your modem is located; and

• your equipment and applications being used. Setting up your modem in a central spot, away from your electrical appliances, can help. Wi-Fi boosters can also help.

Lan_G
Level 2: Rookie

There's a group of Telstra support technicians reading this and laughing:

"Oh yeah blame it on the lag... ahahaha"

"Yeah it's not me... It's the internet making me play bad. raaaahahaha"

"I'm pro level... honest, I swear...   rahahaha"

"ha"...   "ahahaha"...

"Hey, tell him to check if the modem is plugged in and has power...  rahahahaha"

"Tell him to power cycle it....  haaaaahaha"

"Yeah check for an outage bro. She'll be right...     hahaha"

Williamdib

I shall wait it out just been an ugly experience.

Williamdib

You're clearly an un educated specimen. 

Lan_G
Level 2: Rookie

I'm not uneducated, it's my internet connection making me look that way. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit