Level 1: Cadet

Parental Control

I’d like to advise Telstra customers against using the Safety browser recommended in Parental Control. It destroyed my laptop which I had to have an IT technician repair. Also slowly over a month  we lost  the use of Netflix and Stan on our televisions. And then our iPhones couldn’t open any Apps while using the NBN wifi in our home! Telstra’s customer service was shocking! It took more than a month and many many hours of messages to rectify the issue! For a communications business they suck at communicating with customers!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Parental Control

Would you be able to share some details of what damage the 'Safety Browser' did? Are you talking about the Parental Controls available on the modem User Interface? I don't use that function myself but I know people who do..  as far as I can see there is no Safety Browser there? - not on my Smart Modem 2 LH1000 at least, just the MAC and URL filters..  any of those types of controls need careful setting up but should only prevent access. I don't think I have ever seen that sort of function damage a connected device.

Are you sure you didn't activate one of the many supposedly protective browsers touted by various suppliers which sometimes hi-jack your real browser - and that wouldn't be down to a Telstra issue to be honest.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

I have been advised by a professional technician that the Safety Browser suggested while using the Telstra Parental Control definitely caused the havoc we experienced. The safety Browser was not compatible with Microsoft on my laptop, it continually flashed and had to have a hard reset! The technician informed me that he had seen this happen before . I also researched and discovered other Telstra customers have had problems as well. 

Level 24: Supreme Being

@SteveW_52 

There is link to Safe browser in the Manage Parental Controls section of Telstra My Account.

• “Safe Browser
  • Help reduce the risk of personal and financial information being stolen when making online transactions on up to 6 compatible Windows computers.”

I can’t see safe browser causing problems with other device let alone wrecking the laptop that safe browser was installed on. It could have caused problems with laptop if there was already malware installed on the laptop.

OK, I see that under Broadband Protect..  but don't use it..  I prefer to make my own choices as to AV and other protection..

But as you say, I can't see it causing too much trouble, especially to other devices on the network..  it still sounds more like a hijack exploit to me (which I see way too often) which quite often do cause problems network wide..  I'd still like to know more about what caused the problem that manifested itself on the laptop..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

I can understand a single instance installed on a single device maybe having trouble - although I would say that if I noticed that behaviour after installing any program, that program would immediately be uninstalled. Are you (your IT guy) saying that the Safe Browser is incompatible with Windows? or other MS products - if so then yes, Telstra should definitely remove that program, but it is a hard thing to point at one program on a laptop and say that is causing it, without a lot of investigation and review of error logs. Things like keeping the Safe browser updated are important and oft forgotten.

I will certainly make a note of that issue for future reference.

Update: I contacted people that I know use the Telstra Family Protection, only one is using Safe Browser and have had no issues in 2 years of use - on a Windows 10 laptop which they keep updated. I'll be upgrading it soon, so I'll take a good look at that.

Stevo 52

Well, I am not lying!  Yes, the Safe browser did cause my laptop to flash continually making it unusable. Then we lost Netflix and Stan completely and could not sign in , after an hour on the phone with Netflix they determined it was the internet provider problem, in our case Telstra. Our wifi speeds were between 5 - 10Mpbs and at night completely stopped , we had to re-enter the password for the wifi on the television every morning. At the same time we could not use Apps on our iPhones such as banking while connected to our wifi. So after a month of messaging, having a Telstra technician to our home, we turned off Parental Control. Our problems have been resolved but not thanks to Telstra.

No one is suggesting that, just trying to figure out what has occurred. You are passing on information in good faith that another party has provided to you.

However, any application that causes your laptop to flash continually like that is likely to have a major problem and should be removed. I still can't get my head around how it could block access unless it detected the site as unsafe and advised you of that. I also can't understand how it could also affect your Wi-Fi so I suspect that something else has happened as well to cause that. Did you put Safe Browser Parental Control apps on your phones by any  change? When you mention Netflix and Stan, where were you accessing those?

Something just doesn't fit from your description of the problems - possibly a Smart Modem firmware update or some other issue has occurred.

Stevo 52

Of course you would respond like that, Steve, as you are paid big money for your job! May I suggest that Telstra go back to employing Australians who actually speak to the customers, solve issues immediately, then customers like me wouldn’t have to type in forums like this! 

OK, just so you know, I am not a Telstra employees (notice there is no T logo next to my name)..  I am just a customer like you, trying to help where I can..  so my opinions are my own, garnered from a long, hands on, experience over 4 decades plus, with computers, telecommunications and other technologies.  I do this here on Crowd Support because I know Telstra are somewhat lacking in providing good support.

I consider what you are reporting as quite a serious issue, but I am also trying to understand the problem/s because the problem as you describe it is unusual..

I can only try, if you want help..  if you just want to complain to Telstra try..  https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

but I would suggest have real facts to support your claim..

Stevo 52

@NannaK 

I must appologies as I misinterpreted your first post and thought you were saying that due to installing safe browser you had problems with Netflix, Stan and other apps on your other devices.

If instead you ment to say broadband protect caused those problems you are correct as Telstra broadband protect has been known to cause problems with some internet apps.and services.

Web browser also has been known to cause problems on windows 10 PCs running windows 10 with the 2018 August update. The solution was to update Windows to the latest version.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit