DazA320
Level 2: Rookie

Pathetically slow ADSL2+ speeds

Answered

For weeks now we have had insanely pathetic slow speeds on our ADSL2+ service. Location is Castle Hill, NSW, 2154.

This afternoon I tried an online Telstra speed test using my laptop.

Connected to the ADSL2 service modem we have, it shows less than 0.5 Mbps download, and 0.8 Mbps upload.

I then connect my laptop to the Telstra Advanced III mobile data modem, and I get 47 Mbps download with 8.93 Mbps upload.

Why is my Testra ADSL2 this bad - whereas the Telstra mobile data device rips it in...???

See attached images.

Help....... I would like to talk with someone technical, rather than the Filipino ladies in the service centre who seem to read from a script and whose English accents are a strruggle for me.

Thanks

Darryl

IMG_7968.JPGIMG_7966.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Pathetically slow ADSL2+ speeds

.5Mbps would be far below the standard acceptable rate so you would need to contact tech support, and request a speed investigation. They will do their standard tests (you can usually save time by doing them before hand via http://tel.st/cares/ and giving them the reference number) and if they can not find an obvious fault that can be fixed they should be able to arrange it to be escalated to look into the actual reason for it.

With your 4G speeds, that is to be expected. the 4GX network is capable of speeds exceeding 100Mbps, ADSL2+ at its absolute peak is 24Mbps and that would require a perfect line, and you to be right at the exchange essentially. So as far as technical comparison it is like comparing the achievable speed of a 737 at like 1000km/h and a car at like 150km/s...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
DrQ
Accepted Solution

.5Mbps would be far below the standard acceptable rate so you would need to contact tech support, and request a speed investigation. They will do their standard tests (you can usually save time by doing them before hand via http://tel.st/cares/ and giving them the reference number) and if they can not find an obvious fault that can be fixed they should be able to arrange it to be escalated to look into the actual reason for it.

With your 4G speeds, that is to be expected. the 4GX network is capable of speeds exceeding 100Mbps, ADSL2+ at its absolute peak is 24Mbps and that would require a perfect line, and you to be right at the exchange essentially. So as far as technical comparison it is like comparing the achievable speed of a 737 at like 1000km/h and a car at like 150km/s...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

You might want to change your 4G connection password. You have given us your SSID and Password in the screenshot.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MrLudo

A private message might have been better for this... that way anyone with enough time on their hands to wardrive the whole of Castle Hill on the offchance of seeing this SSID would be doomed to fail and waste their petrol.
Jupiter

True, but then others can't learn from this mistake as most people wouldn't have noticed it. Mind you, I would have thought @DrQ would have picked up on it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DrQ

I did notice it and was gonna say something after but I was on my mobile and it is being weird and wouldn't let me make a second post.
Helpful Links

DazA320

That was accidental... Thanks for the heads-up.... the 4G stuff has been changed, so don't bother trying to find it if you're in Castle Hill - which happens to be a big suburb anyway..!

Meantime... I have a seriously lousy ADSL2+ service - which needs urgent attention. Thanks for your suggestions DrQ

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit