HumanBeing
Level 1: Cadet

Phone connection

So I have just moved into a new (old) house. I have found a connection point for the aerial and two Foxtel points. What I cannot find is a phone connection to connect a modem. I cannot even find a traditional phone connection for a rotary phone that I could get an adapter for. What I have found is a little white box in a skirting board in the last room. 

To get round this I got a Nighthawk for wireless internet. But I'm too far from the nearest tower and get one bar of signal that drops in and out and is so slow that having multiple webpages open is too much at times, never mind trying to stream something. I have no family or friends. The internet is my connection with the world. WTF do I do? I tried asking the landlord about a phone connection but I could still be waiting for a response next Christmas. I suspect I may need to pay someone to come out but who?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Phone connection

A licenced cabler (most electricians or security system installers) could look at it for you and tell you what cabling the house has.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you able to enter your address at http://nbnco.com.au

when you search it will load a page that should include something like this 

Technology used in your connection

nbn™ Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) has been used in your connection to the broadband access network.

that technology can be one of about 5 different options are you able to let us know what it says? 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

HumanBeing
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra confirmed that the house is connected with FTTN. So I have NBN connected to the house. It just needs a way to connect to it inside the house through a fixed line. 

Option One: I wait on the landlord. 

Option Two: I pay a technician to come out. But given that recent weather has caused quite a lot of issues with phone and power, priority wise, I could be waiting for someone to be available until next Christmas. 

Jupiter

Does the little white box on the skirting board have any sockets of any type on it?

The quickest way would be to get a technician to come out and install/reinstate the socket. If they do it where there is an existing socket (or I suspect where the white box is), the you shouldn't get in trouble with the landlord - in most states it wouldn't matter anyway.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit