Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Phone service using NBN

Answered

Hi people,

I now have connected to the NBN.  Final stage was the modem installation yesterday!! Yay!!

.  I am on a 1000 g plan, with foxtel platinum and the "super fast" speed boost.  My plan says that it includes a "Telstra Voice Advanced" phone service.  The tech set up my phone service by plugging it into the Gateway modem.  I thought my voice service would plug into the Uni V port on the NBN connection box and therefore would have some priorty over data traffic.  Using my phone tonight to make calls I noticed a definite decrease in quality at times. 

Would I get a better quality of voice connection if the phone was directly connected to the Uni V port and how would I go about doing this? 

Thanks heaps,

Maree

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Phone service using NBN

They are able to set it up via either option, one they call NGC or Next Generation Calling and the other they call IPPOTS or a Plain Old Telephone Service over IP.

Depending on your requirements will determin which is better, but for most people the NGC is a better option, but they do have both options in place.

If you wish to have it set up to run over the Uni-V port, you would have to call accounts (1800TFIBRE - 1800 834 273) and request for your phone service to be moved from NGC to IPPOTS and they should be able to arrange it for you.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Phone service using NBN

They are able to set it up via either option, one they call NGC or Next Generation Calling and the other they call IPPOTS or a Plain Old Telephone Service over IP.

Depending on your requirements will determin which is better, but for most people the NGC is a better option, but they do have both options in place.

If you wish to have it set up to run over the Uni-V port, you would have to call accounts (1800TFIBRE - 1800 834 273) and request for your phone service to be moved from NGC to IPPOTS and they should be able to arrange it for you.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit