CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Pinnacle Bundle - first month usage pro rata or not?

I haave just had the 500GB Pinnacle bundle installed. When I check my usage it states -

Monthly Allowance 500GB

Current Usage Allowance 500GB

I take that to mean the first month data allowance has not been adjusted.

But on the popup next to the Current Uasgae Allowance it states "Your usage allowance for this billing period has been adjusted. This may be due to ...... or because you just joined."

On the other hand when I look at the details on My Usage it states almost the same wording -

"Your usage allowance for this billing period may have been adjusted. This may be due to ...... or because you just joined."

So is it has been or is it may have been?

Seeing as it states that I have only 21 days in my first month should it be showing only about 60% of my Current Usage Allowance or do I have the full 500GB available to me? Do I need to make sure I don't exceed ~60% to avoid the slowing of my access?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Pinnacle Bundle - first month usage pro rata or not?

Hi AntK,

Your usage is pro rated when you first connect a service so it should be showing an adjusted amount. To be safe I would suggest avoiding going over about 325 GB until your billing cycle resets but we will send you warnings when you are getting close to being shaped

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Ashley.

Is there anywhere online that will show me an accurate record of my usage and current allowance/balance?

I can't quite understand the point of Telstra recommending users keep a close eye on their usage and then making a usage meter available that does not reflect reality.

As Telstra obviously keeps track of my usage (and then slows it down when I exceed it) they have the records available to them but not to me.

If they can't provide this accurately, in a timely manner, how am I to keep an eye on any unexpected usage that may indicate a problem at my end (let alone one at their end)?

On the email notification - I have received an email letting me know I have reached 50% of my usage allowance but that looks to be based on my theoretical monthly allowance rather than my pro rated amount so I doubt this method is going to help me much if a pro rata is in effect.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Your usage meter should be show your adjusted allowance for any pro rated period under the allowance limit for that period. I apologise if yours is not. You can try speaking with technical support in case there's something they can do about your meter showing the wrong allowance. They are available 24x7 on 133 933 or here: http://tel.st/gq6m it may just be a glitch but from your new billing month it will reset to zero and you'll receive the full 500 GB allowance. I apolgise for any inconveniences for this shorter period though.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

It's not actually a problem - more an enquiry as to what it should be showing and if I can trust it to be accurate.

Just asking for future reference in case of any unexplainable variation.

At this point in time I think it's easier to see what happens when/if I hit whatever the figure is than to spend time attempting to get some sense out of the Phillipines (I think that's where I ended up on the last couple of occasions that I had a query).

At the moment it's not that critical even if my speed does get limitted for a few days or so. I've managed to download all of the Linux distro updates so I'm current at the moment and speed limitting would just mean I have the incentive to see how the updates perform.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Heya AntK,

No worries, thank you for getting back to us. Smiley Happy

I can definitely appreciate your curiosity regarding the calculation and recording of usage, if you do have any queries or concerns in the future regarding this, we're always here to help.

(fellow Linux user)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit