Haez
Level 3: Gumshoe

Point Cook Tophat

Answered

Sorry if this is a repost, i was not able to find a search button.
Knowing that Point Cook is an internet blackspot, i may be beating a dead horse with this thread.

I moved into Point cook in November 2011 and was horrified to discover RIM hell. That said, I got used to sending out and receiving weekly applications/rejections to Bigpond. There was a spark of hope when i was a white van pull up to the telephone exchange right across the street from where i live and put up a tophat !!! This was back in early march though and it has yet to be operational.

The tophat was installed on PCOK DA056, right across the street from where i live.

Telstra has told me that there is no ETA on when it will be operational despite it being already physically there. C'mon, there has to be at least a deadline on these things. I'm not being ungrateful for the tophat installation, but there just -has- to be a deadline right ?

I can't even access wireless broadband anymore due to the amount of congestion in Point Cook.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it goes live soon. !

- Haez 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Point Cook Tophat

Hey Haez,

Justin asked me to take a quick look at this for you. If your DA is listed on the tophat spreadsheet then it is flagged for an upgrade but no date has been set for completion. This is why when you search via the Telstra website it shows as not on the list for TopHat yet.

Putting the equipment on is only part of the puzzle, in order to support the additional capacity there also needs to be a corresponding upgrade of the backhaul to avoid all the new connections from congesting the DSLAM.

We normally ask for a customers phone number to identify their DA and exchange area but it sounds like you have already been supplied these details. At this stage your guess is as good as mine for completion date but if work has started on the TopHat I would suggest it is sooner rather than later.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Haez,

Though I'll be the first to admit that I don't personally have access to the details you've requested about the Top Hat installed across the street from you, given the situation with broadband in your area, I've submitted a request to management to follow this question up for you with our networks & broadband infrastructure teams.  I can't gurantee a timeframe for the answer from them, but once I get the answer, I'll post it here for you.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

Haez

Wow thanks JustinB(ieber?)  [lol sorry, i just had to]

Yeah sure, that would be VERY much appreciated.
Would it help if i were to provide you my address or land line number for checking ?

I just saw another white van next to the exchange earlier yesterday, before i could approach him my neighbour told me he had already done so and boy was the tech grumpy ! I suppose I would be grumpy too if i were working on the tophat and had every tomdickharry walking the footpath stop and ask me the same questions.

What we observed old grumpy doing yesterday though was putting in some motherboard looking thingys into the tophat.
The last time we spoke to a different tech, we were told that work on that tophat has been finished and all he had to do was put in the invoice...... which turned out to be untrue after all.

- Haez 

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

http://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/ for Tophat updates.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Haez

Hey Ben_F

That website doesn't seem to be accurate.
I received an error :
======================

Sorry, right now your area isn't on our list for a TopHat upgrade..
However, that doesn't mean our home broadband isn't already at your address - or won't be in the near future.
If you haven't previously checked your eligibility with us - please check it now.
As an alternative, our mobile broadband might be a suitable solution.

======================

But referring to the excel spreadsheet from Telstra i got from http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tophat.xls

PCOKCA39 / DA56 is definitely ON the list.

Furthermore, I live right on the street where the work is being done and I can see that the tophat is physically there......taunting me.

I guess it's up to JustinB to followup on this, the neighbourhood here is stoked !

edit : I saw another of your posts, yeah the excel spreadsheet does not have a date listed despite the tophat being physcially there. Hence, back to the main question. 

- Haez 

DanK
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Hey Haez,

Justin asked me to take a quick look at this for you. If your DA is listed on the tophat spreadsheet then it is flagged for an upgrade but no date has been set for completion. This is why when you search via the Telstra website it shows as not on the list for TopHat yet.

Putting the equipment on is only part of the puzzle, in order to support the additional capacity there also needs to be a corresponding upgrade of the backhaul to avoid all the new connections from congesting the DSLAM.

We normally ask for a customers phone number to identify their DA and exchange area but it sounds like you have already been supplied these details. At this stage your guess is as good as mine for completion date but if work has started on the TopHat I would suggest it is sooner rather than later.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Haez

UPDATE

I checked the TW excel spreadsheet again this morning and there are now dates listed !

Proposed service date - May 2012
Actual service date - (not given)

Hoping to get some clarification on the proposed date.
Does "proposed" in this instance mean that the tophat would go live before, during, or end of May ?

I know this may be difficult to answer, but if it can be clarified, i will be able to plan ahead more effectively for the next couple of weeks.

EDIT : D'oh !  My apologies..... had a Homer Simpson moment. The answer was obvious looking at the other entries on the list. It can be anytime in the proposed month. But i did notice that the actual service dates ALWAYS happened in the proposed months, so that's a good sign. 

I'm rectifying my question to : "Does the actual service date mean when it's operational ? For example, if the actual service date is listed as 2nd May2012,  on the 3rd i can start applying for ADSL without the heart rending disappointment of a no-ports rejection letter ?" 

Regards 

DanK
Community Manager

I am not in direct contact with the team who complete this work but I would take the proposed date as the tentative time for completion of the work by the end of that month.

I would certainly not suggest making plans for the service to be available on a specific date but it is definitely good news for you! It is also important to understand that once completed ports may not be made immediately available to allow for testing, we don't want to release new ports only to find a technical fault.

That being said, it is looking good for you being able to get a service before the end of the financial year Smiley Very Happy

Haez

Thanks for the quick reply DanK

yeah being able to get it before the end of the financial year would be awesome.

Getting it up and running no later than May 15th would be stellar. 

Why ?

Diablo 3   

rage.jpg

DanK
Community Manager

Once the active date has been listed then you should be able to sign up. Keep an eye on it and let me know if you have any difficulties.

I have been beta testing D3 and it is certainly shaping up to be a great one. Already have my party organised for launch (my wife and I will be rolling Barbarians and my two brother in laws will be going Witch Doctor and Monk).

Haez

More questions 

Thanks Dank, I’m rolling a female Wiz and going pewpew

I have a couple more questions and figured it wasn’t worth creating a new thread so here goes. Note that these questions are in regards to PCOK CA39/DA056

1.)    Tophats can hold ADSL1, ADSL2+ or both types of ports. That said, how can I find out the type of ports the tophat in my DA is holding ? I won’t want to be applying for a non-existent port when it goes operational.

2.)    I’ve seen a lot of other threads about customers already on tophat ADSL2+ complaining about slow connections. Is a tophat ADSL2+ service potentially not as fast as a full copper ADSL2+ ?  Assuming both are the same distance from the exchange.

3.)    PCOKCA39 is servicing TWO DAs – 56 & 87. How many ports are there available in the tophat once it’s operational ? Will there be an abundance of ports or will we be playing port lotto again and some unlucky families will miss out ?

4.)    My house is 2554m LOS away from the exchange, is that considered far away ?

5.)    How can I find out if my RIM is a mini-MUX or a CMUX ?

My neighbor is big on conspiracy theories and told me that since all the equipment including tophats belong to Telstra, they own all the ports and the only option is to go with Bigpond. I’m not sure what to make of it, he was hammered when he told me this. I told him it’s bollocks since all other ISPs except Optus are Telstra resellers. So as long as you don’t go Optus, you should stand an equally good chance. (true/fase) ?

Major kudos and thanks in advance to answers ! 

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

1 - Tophats should be hosting ADSL2+ equipment from what I've been advised, its to give DSL2+ services to those who can't get it

2 - Tophat services have Gigabit Connections (correct me if I'm wrong) so it should be **bleep** near impossible for congestion to occur

3 - Unsure on Top Hat Ports, I did see a thread somewhere but I honestly can't remember

4 - Doesn't matter how far you are LOS from the exchange, it matters how far away you are LOS from the RIM

5 - Not sure, but does it matter?

Resellers of Telstra should have access to these ports, and will advertise them as 20Mbps ADSL1 services (most of them anyway).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Haez

@ BenF

Thanks for the quick and no-nonsense answers.

My house is only 40m LOS from the RIM. Huzzah !
I may have found the port-availability thread on whirlpool.

quote : Roofcrawler

=======================================================

Just popping my head up here.
Just some technical stuff about TopHats.

Each RIM has a maximum of 8 panels with 9 slots for cards each. 2 of theses slots are taken up by controller cards. The others can be either POTS (10 channels), Universal (6 channels) or ISDN (4 channels, only on non-integrated panel).

Maximum PSTN services on a RIM 3rd Gen housing – 560 (usually 480). Haven't heard of any RIMS that are fully equipped. If AM35 installed, number drops. Takes up panel spots.

Maximum 128 ports on the old NEC AM35 – 4 units, each with 32 ports. 
Unfortunately, the usual install was a base unit plus one expansion for 64 ports, then maybe another expansion for a total of 96 ports. 96 seems to be the most common installation.
Maximum 192 ports on the new TopHat (Alcatel ISAM). This number can and does drop due to RIM configuration.

All customers with broadband are cutover from AM35 to new ISAM. AM35 is completely removed and returned to stores.

Maximum potential ports increase – 128 to 192.

=======================================================

Source  : http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1723486&p=44

Not sure if I am doing it right, but I’ve opened up the tophat xls spreadsheet and physically counted the number of houses being serviced by DA87 & DA56. (Both under PCOKCA39)

I’ve got to approximately 136 for DA87 and 126 for DA56. (A little bit of a worry considering the max is 192)

I’m going to walk the streets serviced by PCOK-CA39 tonight after work to see if there are more cabinets around or just the one outside my house.

If I spot just even another one, that should be a good indicator that we’re good on numbers.

Haez

Wasn't able to spot any more CA39 cabinets other than the one across my house.

uh oh..... looking bad. 

It's okay, plenty of faith ! 

Haez

OMG !!!

Does this mean i can start shooting out an application right away and.....*gasp*.... be connected ?

A quick check with http://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/ shows that it's still pending though.

Quite sad that this is the highlight of my year. Haha 

OMG

DanK
Community Manager

Hey Haez,

I would suggest getting an application in right away - post haste - immediately - or many other speedy phrases you can think up.

You can jump on the BigPond website https://register.bigpond.com/signup.do or chat to one of our LiveChat consultants.

Haez

Hi forum

Thanks Dank, i jumped the gun and applied for ADSL again as soon as i saw the updated excel spreadsheet before posting here. That was on 29/05/2012

A telstra tech came by the house the very next day before i left for work to connect my line and i instantly had my ADSL up and running ! 

Diablo 3 !! Woot !!!!

I'd like to express my gratitude for all the help and professional advice i got here on the forums, especially to Ben_F, Dank, JustinB & Steph

You guys rock

boss.gif

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit