DenisDee
Level 1: Cadet

Poor ADSL 2+ performance

Afternoon all,

I am experiencing very poor network connectivity using Telstra and this has happened since the first day. My previous provider was phenomenal by comparison but i was silly and believed that I would get a better experience by coming to australias premium network. I am so far bitterly disappointed .

So far I have:

reset router

updated firmware

ensured all windows and mac machines are set to notify for updates but never download unless i say so

I have tested on wireless and wired

I have used the artifical speedtest.net to do testing in melbourne and then to other states and countries. 

The speeds I see to telstra services are in the range of 4 - 5 mb, this i can live with to a point..  As i start testing outside of melbourne, i am seeing 2 - 3 then going oversees i am see .4mb.. 

Example..  2.5mb text file from outside of australia takes 2min 30seconds to download..  and this is not p2p before you ask, this is from servers which are well connected. This to me is a big issue.

I do work from home from time to time and the speeds are simply unacceptable and my complaint to telstra has fallen upon def ears thus far.

I also use netflix and this has gone fro a great experience to one that is not fit for purpose on the telstra network because everything streams in SD for the most part.

So what is wrong with teslras network and where is it being overloaded or throttled for me to experience such poor quality of service?  I am happy for a teltra tech to contact me to fix these issues as i am becoming quickly tired of this poor peformance.

If anyone else has any questions or suggestions feel free to post.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Poor ADSL 2+ performance

Hey DenisDee,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear of the issues with the connection and will be happy to have this raised with our level 2 Social Media Tech Team via this thread. They will have an update provided after 9am today EST.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DenisDee

Thank you for the prompt reply,

It just appears to be some sort of speed throttling outside of melbourne.  I have had issues even loading this page at times and netflix became near unwatchable last night with constant buffering every 5 minutes.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What was the postcode of the area that you have been experiencing these connection issues?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

DenisDee

Postcode : 3805

Area:  Narre Warren South

ConK
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

http://servicestatus.telstra.com/servicestatus/goc.do?q=state_NAT.html&postcode=3805

I see not direct land line or adsl issue in your area which is good news, have you reported your speed issues to our tech team. ?- Con

DenisDee

I did report the issue but have not heard back.. I will take some time when I get home to call again and go through the issues.

I don't know if it is myself or how Telstra have configured the network as there appears to be severe speed issues outside of melbourne and definately outside of australia.  This was never an issue with my previous provider.  It almost seems like there is throttling in place on traffic outside of australia..

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit