Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Poor customer service, may need to contact ombudsmen to get a response?

Hi

I have been having multiple issues with Telstra since we signed up in November last year, as follows:

- we are having to call every 4-6 weeks due to no internet service. Every time we call we get a different reason as to the cause (e.g. modem, exchange, line etc.)

- it will get fixed and then I have to call again and the matter needs to be escalated to a level two technician

- the internet speed is quite slow

- I have been told twice that the service has been upgraded to ADSL2+, yet speeds have dropped after this is meant to have occurred. During one call after I had been advised it had been upgraded, I was informed that it was yet to be upgraded

More recently, since the 19th July, the following has occurred:

- called on 19/07/14, spent an hour on the phone, and was eventually told that it would be looked into. I need the internet at home and enquired about data for my phone. I was told I could have an extra 3GB and once the service was fixed, I could use the call back system to have this amended, I was told I would not incur any costs as a result of this. I was told during this call that the system would be upgraded to ADSL2+

- the following day, our internet seemed to have resolved and I attempted to use the call back system. I received four phone calls, was put on hold and then received a message that Telstra was experiencing technical difficulties and someone would call back. I received calls up until 8:30 pm (when the call back email states that call will not be after 7pm)

- on 30/07/14, I received a text message stating that the internet has been upgraded to ADSL2+

- by 01/08/14, the internet speed was unusable and I had to contact Telstra to find out what was happening. There were also issues with the internet dropping out, and Telstra at the time confirmed that it had dropped out nine times in 24 hours. During this call I asked that the 3GB be removed. During this call I was informed that I would have to pay for any excess data. We requested the audio from all calls since November, in line with the Freedom of Information Act, and no one has provided a response.

- on 03/08/14 I received a text message stating that my internet was stable and working and the matter was now closed.

- the internet then dropped out again on 04/08/14. The girl I spoke with on this occasion was actually quite helpful. We discussed the need for me to have internet access and she arranged for 1GB of data and confirmed that I would not incur any cost. She asked if a technician had been out and I said no, I also confirmed that we had never been allocated a case manager in the complaints department in relation to the ongoing issues. The girl I spoke with escalated the matter.

- on 05/08/14, I received a phone call from Liz, the apparent case manager for my complaint. She advised me that the matter was being looked into. I advised that Telstra has until 12/08/14, to resolve any ongoing issues or we would be requesting that our service be cancelled without incurring any costs. She agreed to this. I again requested audio recordings; no response has been received. During this call Liza also confirmed that she would call me on 07/08/14 to provide me with an update. Upon getting home from work the Internet had again dropped and I had no service.

- on 06/08/14 I received a phone call and message, with no return information. I then received another call and was hung up on when I answered the call, and I received call, again with a message but no return call information.

- on 07/08/14, I received a call from Technical support stating they were going to send out a technician. I am yet to hear anything to this matter. I DID NOT receive a call from Liz, to provide an update, as promised. Our internet had also dropped out on this day.

- on 08/08/14, I called Liz to confirm what was happening and asked why she did not call as promised. I was informed that she was still waiting to hear from the technical support team. Today was also the day I received another message stating that the service has been upgraded to ADSL2+, I would beg to differ based on the current speed of our internet

- at 9am on Saturday 09/08/14 I received  a call from someone stating they were from technical support who advised me they have been monitoring the service for two days and that there had been no drop outs and the connection was stable. I confirmed this was not the case, that it had dropped out on 07/08/14 and while I was on the phone to her the internet was not working. She at first stated that she had just reset something and then when I advised her it was not connected she went on to say that it was the modem. She asked if someone had been out to the property, again confirmed this had not happened. I was not happy with being told our internet was stable when it was not working and the technician was not able to tell me what was wrong and providing insufficient information about the cause. I asked that a message be provided to the case manager asking her to call me first thing Monday morning.

- 11/08/14, I had not heard from the customer service team by 11 am. I called and was informed that Liz was on her way in and would call me when she arrives. Two hours later I had not received a call and I again called customer service. I was informed that my case manager was not coming into the office. After being put on hold for a total of 30 minutes, and asking twice to speak with a superior I was told that no one could help me.

As you can see, my experience with Telstra has not been a pleasant one. I would like someone to contact me to resolve the matter who will cancel the account without a fee. Unfortunately if I do not hear from Telstra and the matter is not resolved with the cancellation of the account I will have no option by to refer this matter to the Telecommunications ombudsmen.

Regards

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Poor customer service, may need to contact ombudsmen to get a response?

I am going through something similar! Im currently 9th in the queue for 24/7 chat.. funny thing was, I was on 24/7 chat a half hour ago and got disconnected from my internet! And it took my another half hour to let the consultant do whatever she was doing lol!
My issue has been going on for months. It became more significant and irritating in May 2014. Ive had untolds of tests repeated during this time, noise reduction or something placed on my connection, a new splitter/filter, a visit from a technician (that never happened, just a sms saying I was on level 2.. pfft) and placed on level 2 twice, BUT it has gotten worse! They reckon the next step is a new modem, so a consultant says.. NOTHING has helped or improved.
I believe they're going to drag my case up to the time my contract expires this October. But what gets to me is, Im paying for something, that Im not getting!! So frustrated and have to do the ole 'Woosa' to calm my nerves before talking or interacting with these consultants...
Wow.. 7th in the queue.. soon I'll have to charge telstra for the excess on my data plan on my smart phone lol!
Ombudsman looking more helpful than this lot!
Highlighted

6th in the queue now! Woot!
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

DONT I SAY DONT PAY FOR A SERVICE IF IT IS NOT PROVIDED !!!!
No service no cash tell the service rep that that will be the case and what ever you do dont pay , your contract is for a service no service then no payment , if they wont give you a recording of your conversations record them your self.

Months with little to no service and you have not already gone to the odsebudmen ?

If this is affecting your work/business keep a record with all costs incered as telstra is liable for them under australian law, for not honouring there own contract .

but the one thing I cant say anothe dont pay the bill till the problem is fixed if they offer a reinbersment get it in writting before paying the remaining outstanding amount !

This includes, If you take a day off work for a tech and the tech never shows , that is an expense that you should not have to bere on your own.

Keep a log of all dealings .

Record the calls your self (skype is good for this, even if it dose cost to do so)

A verble contract isn't worth the paper it is written on, get it in writting.

Dont back down.

FTTN Tech. Appinions are my own.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Dgill,

I've let your complaints manager know about the ongoing saga that you're enduring. Hopefully you and your complaints manager come to an agreeable resolution.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Bubbamohinz,

Do you have any reference numbers for the escalations? If you PM them to me, I'll see if there is any update I can provide.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi Brodie
I spoke with a supervisor today, again I had to call to follow up. I was advised the service will be disconnected and the fee waived, I would also be provided with an adjustment for the previous months bill. I asked for this to confirmed via email.

I received an email confirming the adjustment but nothing confirming the disconnection and the early disconnection fee being waived. I sent a follow up email asking for this to be confirmed and no response has been provided.

As such, I will be making a formal complaint to the telecommunications ombudsman, as I want this matter resolved.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey dgill,

I completely understand. I hope that we get this resolved ASAP for you.

Brodie

Highlighted

just go to a diferent provider telstra dosnt give a crap

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit