CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Poor NBN speed and drop -outs

Answered

I had the NBN connected 2 weeks ago. It worked for 5 minutes (literally!) after the technician left but since then I have been almost suicidal with the drop-outs and poor service from Telstra's Indian call centre. I have done everything suggested by Telstra and online suggestions. Nothing works. In fact, this is the longest I have remained connected in 2 weeks. Would mobile broadband be better and can I run my Smart TV from it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Poor NBN speed and drop -outs

You can run your TV from mobile broadband but if you use over 200 GB of data per month it will work out more expensive.

What type of NBN connection do you have. If you have a FTTN connection (Telstra Modem DSL port is connected to phone wall socket could you post your DSL statistics. These will indicate if there is a fault with the NBN link.

To view DSL statistics log in to the modem http://192.168.0.1 (default login is Admin / Telstra) and go to Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL. They will look similar to image below.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Couldn't reply as the line dropped out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You can run your TV from mobile broadband but if you use over 200 GB of data per month it will work out more expensive.

What type of NBN connection do you have. If you have a FTTN connection (Telstra Modem DSL port is connected to phone wall socket could you post your DSL statistics. These will indicate if there is a fault with the NBN link.

To view DSL statistics log in to the modem http://192.168.0.1 (default login is Admin / Telstra) and go to Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL. They will look similar to image below.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Couldn't reply as the line dropped out.

Highlighted

When line drops out do all the lights on the Telstra modem go off?

Highlighted

No they don't.My NBN set up. Not my choice!

@cf4 wrote:

When line drops out do all the lights on the Telstra modem go off?

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hello Trish,

In relation to mobile broadband you mentioned,   I have used it exclusively for almost 4 years and love it.

Because it's part of Telstra's own mobile network, it receives all the care and attention to keep it working almost flawlessly.

It doesn't drop out, or have all the issues of NBN.

Mobile broadband even works perfectly with a relatively poor signal in my house.

Telstra have reduced the cost, as it's now their only Telstra owned and operated  internet.

service.

You'll need to take advice re running a smart TV from it, as at present the plans for heavy usage are not great.

At the end of the day, it's a great service, and far more trouble free than NBN.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Thanks so much for your reply. It's the best advice I've had in 2 weeks.

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

Hello Trish,

In relation to mobile broadband you mentioned,   I have used it exclusively for almost 4 years and love it.

Because it's part of Telstra's own mobile network, it receives all the care and attention to keep it working almost flawlessly.

It doesn't drop out, or have all the issues of NBN.

Mobile broadband even works perfectly with a relatively poor signal in my house.

Telstra have reduced the cost, as it's now their only Telstra owned and operated  internet.

service.

You'll need to take advice re running a smart TV from it, as at present the plans for heavy usage are not great.

At the end of the day, it's a great service, and far more trouble free than NBN.

Highlighted

Hello Trish,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Below are the current mobile broadband plans.

If you do decide to proceed, can I recommend the Netgear Advanced 111 modem with the Optional ethernet cradle, which also has its own more powerful WiFi.

If you buy the cradle, you can permanently leave the battery out of the actual modem and run it from the cradle's electric power supply.

Have a happy New Year.  Regards P.P.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans?tc=G%7cE%7cD%7cBP%7cBPMBB%7cBroadbandMobileBrand&saci...Smiley Very Happy

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Highlighted

Dear PP,

While not quite as old as you (well, almost!), I have had a computer since 1988. But this lot has me stumped. Thanks for your suggestions.  Trish

Highlighted

Hello Trish

Please feel free to ask any other questions at any time re NBN or changing to mobile broadband.

Happy New Year

Regards PP

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit