Garton
Level 1: Cadet

POOR NBN SPEED

Answered

Hello Crowdsupport, 

I have just Migrated from Cable to NBN was suppose to be smiling with New Technology, but had 111Mbps with Cable, when migrated to NBN it only gives 20Mbps and I can feel the jerkiness of videos and loading of webpages.  Is there anything I can seek or do to better this? 

I have old parents they latch on to TV shows overseas and this is not a pretty experience. 

Please advice what steps should I do, Upgrade Boosters? challenge Telstra? Get the whole street to do something? No I am not Rioting but surely can't be worst then Cable that Once have? How does NBN work like this... forced downgrade.. 

Please advice....

Garton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: POOR NBN SPEED

It looks like you lost the FTTN lottery. Other things that might limit the speed of the link apart from distance to node is faulty house wiring, fault in the street cable and quality of street cable.
If you have more than one phone socket try another phone socket and make sure there is nothing plugged into any spare phone sockets. If you had a back to base alarm system make sure it is disconnected. Connect Gateways DSL port directly to phone socket without using an ADSL Filter /splitter.

You can check your distance from Node and expected speed at the site below. It is an unofficial site and data is not complete for all locations. Locate your premises on the map. Click on your premises and if data is available the link speed and distance to Node will be displayed.

http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Depending on your plan your standard speed would be 25Mbps or 50Mbps.

Do you know what type of nbn you ended up getting? FTTN maxes at 100Mbps but you need to win out in your location to the node, if you lose out on how close you are to the node you end up with a lower max speed.

If it is nbn fttn you can post your line stats from http://192.168.0.1 > advance > dsl and then that will give an idea of what your max speed and options might be.

Cable is capable of going over 100 but nbn will max out about 97 at absolute most. It can be a bit of a drop in some cases but there isnt much Telstra can do about it as they have to disconnect the cable if it isn’t migrated under the nbnco rules.

Speed boost might help but would depend on the connection so if you post the stats it can help.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Garton
Level 1: Cadet

DrQ,

Thank you for your time, Is that what you mean DSL Connected is 7.80Mbps and 27.12 Mbps, has Opt for the 40Mbps Speed Booster with FTTN, To my understanding from Neighbour we are around 240meters from the node. could Modem be an issue too? possible to change to a faster Modem?

Modem Time
3days, 04:49:39
Current Day Start
Sun May 27 2018 04:30:38 AM, 04:49:11 ago
Showtime
3days, 04:41:39
DSL Standard
VDSL2
Max Bandwidth Down
26.65Mbps
Max Bandwidth Up
7.8Mbps
cf4
Accepted Solution

It looks like you lost the FTTN lottery. Other things that might limit the speed of the link apart from distance to node is faulty house wiring, fault in the street cable and quality of street cable.
If you have more than one phone socket try another phone socket and make sure there is nothing plugged into any spare phone sockets. If you had a back to base alarm system make sure it is disconnected. Connect Gateways DSL port directly to phone socket without using an ADSL Filter /splitter.

You can check your distance from Node and expected speed at the site below. It is an unofficial site and data is not complete for all locations. Locate your premises on the map. Click on your premises and if data is available the link speed and distance to Node will be displayed.

http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit