Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Port Forwarding on a Public IP address

Hi, I am setting up a Minecraft server, and although the server works fine for me and devices connected to my network, when my friends tried to join from their respective home networks, they are unable to connect. After a little bit of research, I discovered that it was because the port was not opened on my public IP. I am only able to access my router settings from what my Mac tells me is my router's IP address, which I presume to be private. I have port forwarded the necessary ports for the server to run, but when I use PortCheckTool to see whether the port has been opened from my Public IP, it shows that it is, in fact, closed. I am using a Mac, and I have noticed that my internet seems to have switched to the Telstra Mobile Network (most likely temporarily). Also, Minecraft uses IPv4 IP addresses, and I have set my Mac to use these.

How can I port forward so that the ports open on my public IP address so my friends can join my server? Do I need a new router?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Port Forwarding on a Public IP address

When the modem is on 4G backup it does not have a public IPv4 address. You will have to wait for the modem to switch back to the main link before the server will be able to be used by people on other home networks.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Port Forwarding on a Public IP address

Ah ok, thank you for your feedback, although the modem seems to have been on the 4G backup for awhile now (purple light), when can I expect it to switch to normal internet again?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit