Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Possible cybercrime or fraud: my home ADSL service was disconnected without notice - please help

I have been chatting with Telstra Support through Telstra App for 2 days but did not get to any resolution. I need extra help!

On Friday morning, 23 October, my home internet was suddenly disconnected. I had an ADSL service. I contacted Telstra through Telstra App and eventually found out that Telstra received a request from an unnamed NBN company to disconnect my ADSL service. 

For the record, I DID NOT make any contract or agreement with any NBN company to do that. I told Telstra many times about that and asked to get my service back ASAP, as I am working from home as everyone else does these days and cannot afford internet interruptions right now.

All this time, Telstra chat team continued to talk me into getting a new NBN contract with them. One person even asked me if I'd agree to disclose personal information like my income for credit check. I told them Telstra NBN would be an option I'd positively consider in the future but what I needed  right now was to get my existing service back ASAP. Then, they would drop out of the chat, and a new support person would come onboard and say they'd need 2 hours to review the previous chat and assess my situation. It's like a never-ending loop. Eventually, one person said he escalated the issue, but I haven't heard from them since then. And I do not see any record of my issue on Telstra App "Track my reported faults."

I also called Telstra 132200 and was told to call their "Billing" department for further investigation. However, the "Billing" department does not take phone calls and instead have an automated instruction to get an assistance through Telstra App. Back to square one. 

So my questions are:

1) Is this a fraud or cybercrime? Should I report to the NSW government or police, instead of dealing with Telstra. If someone contacted an NBN company to send a request to Telstra to remove my ADSL service, there are two victims here: me for the loss of the internet service + a landline phone attached to it; and Telstra for losing a customer.

2) If that's the case, which company is holding my phone/ADSL/NBN line right now? Telstra does not know who requested the transfer of service. How can I get it back and get my internet restarted again?

3) Or is this whole thing a Telstra's new tactic to make customers switch from ADSL to NBN? If so, it is malicious. They could have just asked me if I'd be interested before disconnecting the line, and I would have done it happily, as I have been a loyal customer for years and happy with their service. I'd never missed a payment.

FYI, NBN became available in my area just about a half year go. So I still have a year before switching, if it is true that we all have to move on to NBN within 18 months after it becomes available. 

If there's anyone in the same situation or if you are experts in this industry, please help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Possible cybercrime or fraud: my home ADSL service was disconnected without notice - please help

All you should need to do is request that the porting be reversed as you did not request it.

The problem is then that reconnecting an ADSL service is difficult as if the service has been migrated to the NBN then the regulations do not allow ADSL connections to be made.

It may be easier just to migrate to the NBN (it's not as bad for most people as the media makes out). All landline based internet plans are technology independent (they are the same whether you are on ADSL, Telstra Cable or NBN).

If you are still having problems getting the porting reversed, contact the Ombudsman via tio.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Re: Possible cybercrime or fraud: my home ADSL service was disconnected without notice - please help

Thank you so much, Jupiter.  

tio.com.au looks very helpful. I'll use it if Telstra does not respond. 

Can I ask you a question? I asked Telstra to get my ADSL service back. Doesn't that mean "reversal"? Or should I use the term "reverse" specifically for them to understand what I'm requesting? I do not know these technical terms, so please let me know.

Thanks

Highlighted

Yes. It's a porting reversal. Another RSP has requested that your service be ported to them, so you need that reversed as you didn't request it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

There may be one hurdle not mentioned above.

Depending as to the type and availability of the nbn in the area, Telstra may not be able to reconnect the ADSL. Once the nbn is declared Ready For Service outside of the satellite and fixed wireless footprints, providers aren't permitted to connect "new" legacy services.

Now, strictly speaking I understand this is not a new ADSL service, but the regulations, and our systems that have been set up to ensure we comply with those regulations, may not see it that way.

If I am correct, the outcome will be for your services to be ported back to Telstra, on the nbn.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thank you guys. It's been a nightmare, and I still don't have internet. As you & Jupiter mentioned, Telstra could not reverse the service, and I had to sign up for NBN. That was fine, but Telstra somehow failed it, too. I got a new modem, but no NBN connection box. NBN.co contacted me to make an appointment for connection, I took a day off for that appointment, and then they cancelled it and did not show up. I'm again in endless chat with the Telstra support team and getting nowhere.

Highlighted

Unfortunately, NBN Co can be rather unhelpful like that. You would think that if they couldn't attend at the agreed time then they would at least automatically reschedule the visit rather than the customer having to try and reschedule through their RSP.

You should lodge a complaint with the TIO (tio.com.au) about NBN Co and their non-attendance. At least that way, the problem is recorded.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit