Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Prepaid number disconnected

Answered

Hi all,

my prepaid number has been disconnected last week without any notice. I had not recharged the number in 6 months but I was still using the number as linked to my bank and other apps.
I have not received any warning messages nor emails from Telstra. 
Is this legal?

I went to a Telstra store to get support and they told me they couldn’t get my number back and that I had to lodge a complaint online. I did that already but no one from Telstra has called me so far. I lodged my complaint last week.

I wonder as a consumer what my rights are? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid number disconnected

Prepaid numbers are automatically disconnected after 6 months from which the last recharge expired. This is clearly stated in the terms and conditions. You may receive a warning text

"1.12 If you do not recharge your service during your recharge only period, it will be disconnected and your number will be reallocated to another customer. You may receive a text message warning you of this before your recharge only period ends. The length of your recharge only period is 6 months from your Credit Expiry Date."

https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/res/pdf/activation_tc.pdf

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Prepaid numbers are automatically disconnected after 6 months from which the last recharge expired. This is clearly stated in the terms and conditions. You may receive a warning text

"1.12 If you do not recharge your service during your recharge only period, it will be disconnected and your number will be reallocated to another customer. You may receive a text message warning you of this before your recharge only period ends. The length of your recharge only period is 6 months from your Credit Expiry Date."

https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/res/pdf/activation_tc.pdf

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there,

the issue here is that I have not received a warning message and Telstra disconnected my number from one day to the other with no notice at all.

what are my rights as a consumer? 

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Pretty much Nil. There is no requirement for them to give you any warning as the post 6 months cancellation is part of the basic terms and conditions.

In normal times, complaints are responded to within 5 business days. At the moment, that timeframe has extended out to up to a month (timeframe estimated from other posts on Crowdsupport).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit