Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Problem with “backup” 4G + NBN Fixed line service issues

Answered

Reference # SR1-152658493783

My NBN service with Telstra has been unuseable since Friday 4th May, I connected to the NBN at the start of Feb and had zero issues, I had a decent 60/20 connection. On the Friday in question i experienced 40+ dropouts. I contacted Telstra on Saturday the 5th, who escalated to NBN Co.

On the Monday they applied a Stability profile, which did nothing for my stability I still get disconnected randomly 20 times a day (if I'm able to connect at all), When I am able to connect I can now only get 4up/4down.

After a week of Telstra and NBN going backwards and forwards, I managed to get a booking for an NBN technician between 1pm and 4pm yesterday, I took the day off work to make sure the tech got access and to make sure I had a chance to explain what was happening, but alas the tech didnt turn up.

I called Telstra who did some checking and found out that NBN had cancelled and closed the job, without calling or messaging me. I have now been escalated to a Telstra complaints manager, and had the NBN tech resceduled to Tuesday the 15th (unfortunately i cant be there, my fiance will have to liaise).

We are now passed a week with sporadic 4mbit internet that connects for a few minutes, then wont connect for 5 or 6 hours, then connects for 8 hours, then goes down for a day. 

Im at wits end, what do I do from here?, it seems NBN dont care, and telstra just hand ball the problem.

The 4G backup that is supposed to help in situations like this has been restricted to 0.3 MB, I'm guessing due to the hundreds of times I have jumped in and off the network, due to my fixed line service dropping out? (I'm not a heavy user, netflix, youtube some PS4 gaming).

Is there anyone that can atleast get my 4G backup running at normal speeds?

My NBN line has had zero line sync in the last 16 hours

Edit. I have tried using a new modem, tried isolating the connection, tried resetting, restarting, no dice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Problem with “backup” 4G + NBN Fixed line service issues

You'll need to call the NBN assurance team on 1800 834 273 as ask that the 4G backup be unshaped.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You'll need to call the NBN assurance team on 1800 834 273 as ask that the 4G backup be unshaped.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

thanks for the reply, I have been on the phone with them for 40 minutes now, and they called multiple departments, they keep saying "there are no restrictions, we have no way to put restrictions on the backup service or take them off" while typing this the call dropped out, and I have given up

My experience with Telstra/NBN Co Fault resolution is absolutely terrible , you get treated like you don't know what you are doing, it takes multiple days to get someone to acknowledge a genuine line fault, at which point nobody wants to take responsibility, a constant back and forth between NBN and Telstra.

That nobody on the Telstra hotline know how to fix the shaping issue, or even acknowledge that there is any shaping is very frustrating.

edit; they were kind enough to offer mobile data to use in the interim, although I had to turn down as I am an Optus Mobile customer.

Highlighted

You could try and contact your complaints case manager to see if they can chase up getting the 4G backup unshaped. Have you received any texts about the 4g backup and is the signal light green on the top of the modem?

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The level one support operators cannot remove the shaping and most don't know about the shaping, they have to fill out a WEB form to request that the shaping be removed

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit