El3ctron
Level 1: Cadet

Proof usage meter is faulty

For many years I have had no problem with the reported amount of download/upload data reported by the usage meter.  It has seemed quite accurate and in line with my own system logs.

I have a cable modem directly connected to a Linux system.  There is no router in between.  The cable modem is running in bridged mode, which disables the wireless capabilities of the modem.

On 28-Jul-12, I disabled the network interface on that computer, as I'm making system changes and didn't really require network access on that particular computer during that time.  By disabled, I mean I shut down the network interface on the Linux system.  The DHCP client is not running and I have no IP address lease.

Usage meter screenshot:
http://s8.postimage.org/6e6elfzat/bpusage1.jpg

As expected, usage on the next day shows 0MB down, 0MB up.  However the  day after  (30-Jul-12) shows 168GB downloaded.  For 3 straight days, it has reported exactly 2516MB uploaded.  On 02-Aug-12, it reported exactly twice the previous days usage, 5031MB.  On each of those days 0MB was reported as download.  A typical TCP/IP connection would have at least some data sent in both directions.  This is hardly what I would describe as a normal usage pattern,

I called Bigpond on 03-Aug-12, but failed to convince anyone that there is a problem in their metering system.  They are trying to suggest someone may be using my wireless connection (I don't have wireless), or that a computer is running Napster/Kazza (I don't have a Windows computer), or a virus has infected my system.

Early on 05-Aug-12, I physically switched off the cable modem.   Since that time, the usage meter has recorded another 168GB downloaded.   It is impossible to download anywhere near that amount considering that

- a) I have been capped for the last 5 days

- b) I have no IP address for the last 8 days

- c) The cable modem is switched off

This is proof that Bigpond's usage meter is faulty, but Bigpond continually refuses to address my concerns at all.  I get the standard scripted response and they refuse to have a systems/network person look at how this usage report is generated.  I don't want a new modem, or someone to check my line dammit, this is a problem with Bigpond's metering system, not a problem at my end.

Bigpond refuses to tell me what IP addresses I have had this usage countered towards.  If they did check, they would find I have had no IP address.  Without an IP address, I couldn't have generated any traffic, or even had unsolicited traffic sent  to me (DDoS etc).

Notice in the image that exactly the same amount of data has been recorded as being downloaded on 30-Jul-12 and 05-Aug-12.  What a coincidence.  Also, 03-Aug-12 usage meter previously showed data as loaded (2516MB) but mysteriously disappeared after a call to Bigpond.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Proof usage meter is faulty

Clearly something isn't right with your usage meter. Hopefully a moderator on here can pass this onto an appropriate person within the business to have it properly investigated.

Tech Support/Billing probably have a standard script they run through anytime someone says the usage meter is wrong, and don't really address the issue at hand. They here 'usage meter' and 'wrong' and trigger that script.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

There's not a script persay but in my personal experience I've seen 1 legitmate usage meter fault in 3 years. Tech support can however escalate it to the engineers who can pull logs for the service and tell confirm the MAC address of the device the usage is coming from if it is in fact legitimate usage. If you've had your cable modem switched off for a week, my first guess would be that there might be an account / MAC mismatch or something but only the logs will tell so give tech support a call and get it escalated. The reference number will either be TT1-########### or INC00000#######.
Lathania

It should be noted that 6.5 of the General Terms for Consumer Customers - Part of Telstra's "Our Customer Terms" says:

We are required by various industry codes to ensure that our bills are accurate and verifiable and we are committed to complying with these requirements. Our records are sufficient proof that a charge is payable unless they are shown to be incorrect. 

It should also be noted that Part 4.6 of Part A – General Terms for BigPond services, part of the Bigpond Service Section of Our Customer Terms says:

We may not be able to provide detailed information about your usage (or any of your group members' usage) of the service (for example, information about what sites were visited and when). 

Unless you can conclusivley prove that there is no fault, Telstra is not obliged to investigate a fault.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

edrah0lic
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hi! This large usage spike is clearly an evidence that something is not right here. A Technical Rep should escalate this issue to Server Complex to be under investigation.

Consider as well that today's usage (THIS DATE) is from 8pm last night until 8pm tonight.

Ben
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey there El3ctron,

Are you able to send me your details via telstra.com.au/24x7help (including DOB so we make sure we get the right acct and meet our privacy obligations). I will then raise it with our techs to sus out whats happening and go from there regarding next steps.

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MGH
Level 2: Rookie

Realistically I don't like your chances of seeing it resolved.  I am having similar problems with metering showing huge amounts., while own records show that I have used only a small fraction of these amounts.  The metering is also very erratic in regards to time lag (often 24 hours behind) and often in periods where I have the modem switched off - seems to make no difference.  All security measures hve been taken and security code and password changed but the problem worsens, 

Teltra have been attentive, and the investigation has been escalated to Level 2 I am told, but after three months I am beginning to despair that anything can be done.  I thought that switching to ADSL2 may solve the problem, but reading of other people's experience  on ADSL and cable, I rather doubt it is going to be the answer. Leaving Telstra may be the only option.

MGH

Steveh1956
Level 3: Gumshoe

On the subject of usage, can someone tell me if Windows 8.1 and McAfee system updates are metered ?

thank you

JessicaCL
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Steveh1956,

These updates will be metered usage.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Did you need any more help Steveh1956?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit