Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

PS4 dropping connection on Telstra Gen 2 Modem

Answered

Hello,

We have recently purchased a PS4....that constantly drops out from the wifi connection whilst my son is playing.

We have a lot of other Wifi devices that stay connected........ Mobile phones, netflix, foxtel, chromecasts, google homes, laptops etc etc work perfectly 95% of the time

What I have tried to stop my 13 year old having hissy fits!!

Powerline adapters.

Port forwarding.

IP static address.

Plus lots and lots of wasted time reading a million different solutions that dont work!

I did a speed test - I'm not sure what the results mean.  

I also looked at the DSL stats through the modems diagnostics.....and im not sure what any of this means

Just a mum - no IT background - who needs help please Smiley Happy 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: PS4 dropping connection on Telstra Gen 2 Modem

Did you have the same problem using powerline adapters with wifi on ps4 turned off?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Power Line adapters should work fine to run the PS4 off a Smart Modem ethernet port, but not of the ones on the market are of sufficient quality or bandwidth from gaming/streaming. The TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit (2 devices) are very good - 2 x ethernet ports at each end and 20000 Mbps capability, in my own experience (I run my WiFi Booster over one port and a microcontroller project on the the other at the far end of the house. Other I have installed them for are also happy with them. Not cheap though, but to me, with extenders you get what you pay for?

https://www.umart.com.au/TP-Link-TL-PA9020P-KIT-AV2000-2-Port-Gigabit-Passthrough-Powerline-Starter-...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Hi, do you know what make and model your modem is? And has this been happening from right when you first hooked up the PS4?

There have been some recent modem firmware updates that have configured the modem to have Protected Mode Frames (PMF) enabled by default on the modem Wi-Fi channels. This setting can cause device to have trouble connecting and staying connected.

It seems you are OK to get into the modem user interface? if so, go in to that and look for the Wi-Fi page (you might need to go to Advance then the Wi-Fi page. Look for a PMF setting on each channel and if it is ON, turn it OFF. Make sure to save the setting before you close out of the User Interface. The setting should take effect immediately, but in the worse case you can power cycle the modem (power off, wait at least a minute, then power it on again and let it get back to the normal operating mode then try the PS4 again.

Hopefully that will work for you. if not, come back here and let us know and there might be other help steps available.

Please note that CrowdSupport as a large number of people who are NOT Telstra, as you will see by the lack of the T logo near their name..  we are just customers like you, trying to help out.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply SteveW_52.

My modem is Arcadyan LH1000.  And yes, this has been happening since we hooked up the PS4 a few weeks ago.

I found the PMF switch in the 2.4ghz channel, and it was on.  I have switched it off and saved the setting.  I had already previously turned 'band steering' off so only have the 2.4ghz channel enabled.

I will report back with a 'yay' or a 'nay' later on tonight or tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.......and thank you for helping Smiley Happy

Highlighted

No problem. Hope it works. 

Stevo 52
Highlighted

An update on our PS4.

We are still getting disconnections and lagging during gameplay. 

More suggestions and help will be gratefully accepted Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Have you tried turning off band steering in the modem's WiFi settings. This will add -5G to modem's 5 GHz WiFi band. Make sure the play station is only set to connect to one of the modem's WiFi bands.

Alternately you could try forcing the PS4 to only use one WiFi band as per link below.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/595485/PS4+will+randomly+lose+WIFI+connection+and+then+will+reco...

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Tang, your not the only one with dropouts, I have been talking to four different people about my modem since Foxtel determined on Monday that it was faulty, I have been told different excuses - one - there is no problem, two - its because your modem is plugged into a power board and not a wall socket, three - you have too many devices running - four - its your Foxtel that is causing the problem.

I had requested a replacement modem - "NO", I requested a field technician to come and inspect "NO", I am being denied my consumer rights as a consumer

Highlighted

Thanks cf4.

We had already turned that bandwidth steering thing off in the modems setting so we are only getting 2.4ghz.  And the playstation was already set to 2.4ghz.

Highlighted

Hi Elcato,

It is very frustrating, that's for sure

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Did you have the same problem using powerline adapters with wifi on ps4 turned off?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Power Line adapters should work fine to run the PS4 off a Smart Modem ethernet port, but not of the ones on the market are of sufficient quality or bandwidth from gaming/streaming. The TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit (2 devices) are very good - 2 x ethernet ports at each end and 20000 Mbps capability, in my own experience (I run my WiFi Booster over one port and a microcontroller project on the the other at the far end of the house. Other I have installed them for are also happy with them. Not cheap though, but to me, with extenders you get what you pay for?

https://www.umart.com.au/TP-Link-TL-PA9020P-KIT-AV2000-2-Port-Gigabit-Passthrough-Powerline-Starter-...

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit