Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Public IP Address for Home Wireless Broadband

Answered

Is there any way that I can get a Public IP address for my Home Wireless Broadband?

I have a Netgear M1 Wireless Broadband Router and I would like to use its

"IP PASSTHROUGH" feature to set up a VPN Server using my ASUS RT-AC5300 router.

I'm happy to pay an additional charge for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Public IP Address for Home Wireless Broadband

IPv6 address is available on a Telstra mobile broadband service. Change the APN PDP to IPv4/IPv6 in the M1 cellular settings. There is a limited number of IPv4 address that is why Telstra uses CGNAT on its consumer mobile broadband service. I haven't tested but it is likely that the IPv6 address is public.  

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

Public mobile broadband IPv4 address are only available Corporate business mobile plans. You might find that the IPv6 address is public and use that for your VPN. 

Highlighted

Why can't Telstra introduce this feature for Home Wireless Broadband even if an additional charge is necessary? Telstra does not provide an IPv6 address on Home Wireless Broadband, only an IPv4 address. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

IPv6 address is available on a Telstra mobile broadband service. Change the APN PDP to IPv4/IPv6 in the M1 cellular settings. There is a limited number of IPv4 address that is why Telstra uses CGNAT on its consumer mobile broadband service. I haven't tested but it is likely that the IPv6 address is public.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted

It's certainly a workable solution but it would be simpler to implement what I want to to achieve if I had a PUBLIC IPv4 Address, either DYNAMIC or STATIC.

Thank you for your help.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit