ASUS_User
Level 2: Rookie

"New" NBN Plans / Pricing - does Telstra restrict the speed to a percentage of maximum speed

Hello - just got the advice that Telstra need to make more money so are bumping up the price of our plan by $5.00 per month.  We are on Fibre to the Node and a long way from the NBN box - maximum speeds we've ever got on the $90 per month plan is 25 - 27 Mbps but mostly 10 Mbps.

The "check you address" has the maximum speed as 45 - 50 Mbps - we absolutely never get anywhere near this.

So checking the plans available - $80 per month gets 25 Mbps download 4 Mbps upload and $95 gets 50 Mbps download and 17 Mbps upload.  Both plans have unlimited data volumes.

Obviously Telstra are limiting the speed on your service.  Just wondering if they reduce your speed by a percentage of your "maximum" - or do they not restrict your speed until you hit these download "ceiling" figures.  As Telstra are giving me a fiver per month for the first couple of months - I'm not going to change plans until I've experienced the "blistering" speeds of "Standard Speed Plus".

Appreciate anyone else's experience with dropping back a plan and effect on delivered speed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: "New" NBN Plans / Pricing - does Telstra restrict the speed to a percentage of maximum

Telstra and other ISPs don't restrict the speed to a % of the maximum speed.  They only restrict the speed to the speed off the plan. If you get 10 Mbps on a 50 Mbps plan due to distance from Node you will still get 10 Mbps on the 25 Mbps plan.

When I was on the 25/5 speed plan my actual line rate was 28/6.4. My  Maximum line rate was about 48/12 due to distance from node.  Now that I am on a 50/20 plan my actual line rate is 48/12.

You can check the actual speed and maximum speed of the Technicolor modem by logging into modem and going to Advanced > Broadband. If you have the Acadyan modem the maximum and actual line rate can be checked in the log by looking for DSL sync rate.

ASUS_User
Level 2: Rookie

Re: "New" NBN Plans / Pricing - does Telstra restrict the speed to a percentage of maximum

Thanks cf4 - appreciate the quick response.

Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @ASUS_User 

The NBN Co has announced a number of upgrades in certain area's will be happening. Not sure if your area is included in that?

31 August 2021

NBN Co announces latest suburbs and towns where an additional 300,000 homes and businesses will beco...

My body's absorbed so much hand sanitizer that when I pee, it cleans the toilet. 🙂

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit