xessive303
Level 1: Cadet

Regular drop outs FFTN

Since we received notification about scheduled maintenance to our NBN connection in early September, I have had around 10 dropouts each happening every day or two. The drop outs always happen in peak time around 9:30-10:30pm and last for around 15 mins. During this time the arris modem the online and upstream lights go out and the down stream flashes. I have logged a complaint with Telstra and I am waiting for someone to contact me about this. Is there anything else I can try? The service has been very stable until the previous maintenance so whatever they have done seems to have caused this issue. I don't want to call tech support and have them tell me its an issue with my modem...maybe thats my only option?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Regular drop outs FFTN

Your connection is NBN HFC not FTTN. FTTN connection use the telephone copper wires and are similar to ADSL connections.

There is nothing you can do to the modem except checking that everything is connected correctly and coaxial connections are tight. There are no settings in the Arris modem and if Online and Upstream lights on the Arris modem are going of then there probably a problem in the coaxial network or less likely a faulty Arris modem. The problem in the coaxial network could be due to maintenance work still being performed.

xessive303
Level 1: Cadet

You are correct. It is in fact NBN HFC. Well this is now turned into some kind of joke. Telstra have escalated to NBN 4 times, each time they have either said they did some sort of re-configuration and closed it or have noticed the modem was online and closed it. A Telstra technician visit was arranged and he didn't do anything other than arrange for NBN to come on site to check the arris box. However, NBN didn't attend on site they just checked it remotely, found that it was online and closed the ticket. The dropouts are more regular now too, up to 3-4 times a day. Is there no other way I can get this escalated so NBN can come on site to check the arris box?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Unfortunately, we are not able to force nbn co to send a technician out, particularly if the service is disconnecting less than 6 times per day as they deem that this is within acceptable limits. 

For BigPond Cable services, I would suggest leaving the modem turned off for at least 15 minutes and trying to return it to factory defaults as this forces the modem to renegotiate the connection in a way that a standard restart does not.

As you have an NBN HFC service, I am not sure if the Arris would work in the same way as our Cable modems did, but it may be worth a try. 

If you have a splitter connected for a Foxtel service, try removing this to see if this makes any change. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit