Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Relocating nbn router with phone

Answered

I have nbn connected in the garage. It is a new house and has 3 Ethernet ports underneath the nbn box. I have connected the NBN box to the Telstra router using the red/yellow cable from Ud1 port and have phone attached to the green plug, all is working. Problem - the phone has the answering machine attached to it, so to check for messages you have to go into the garage.

I plugged in a yellow/yellow cable (which came with the router) into one of the 3 Ethernet ports and the other end into the yellow LAN outlet on the router. In in the study where the PC is there is 2 Ethernet ports.(New house,cabling was done as part of the build). I have plugged an Ethernet cable from the PC into one of the ports and have internet access on the PC. 

I want to move the router into the study so we have the phone in the house. I tried moving the router and connecting it to one of the ports in the study, but the phone wouldn’t work. I swapped the cables, still no luck. When I tested Wifi speed was slow down and fast back (3mg/56mg up) so I put it all back as it was, but there must be an explanation on how to do this, help??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Relocating nbn router with phone

Yes the red ends are just for simple identification for the identification card.

The PC will work if it was directly connected to UNI-Di port on the NBN box. You must have had it set up like this

NBN UNI-D1 Port====Garage Ethernet Port=====Study Ethernet Port====PC

=====Study Ethernet Port====Gateway

Which would have explained why you had Internet on PC and the phone did not work.

Connect the NBN UN-Di1 Port to the port that was connected to the LAN port on Gateway. Disconnect PC from Ethernet Port in study and connect Gateways WAN port to this Ethernet port.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

This worked. Had to remove PC from wall outlet. Took a while for NBN to find router and phone after moving them, most disturbing that slow connection part. Anyway all moved and working well, many thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

The way you connected should have worked with no reduction in speed or loss of phone service. Is this the way you connected it.

NBN UNI-D1 Port====Garage Ethernet Port=====Study Ethernet Port====Gateway===PC

It might take a while for phone to start working but should have normal speed. It could be there was congestion on Network when you did speed test or one of your devices was downloading an update.

Highlighted

I didn’t have the PC in the Gateway, I still had it in the study Ethernet Port. It still worked.

Does the different coloured cables make any difference, or are the just the same as the old blue ones? I presume the red ends were just a simple identifier for the instruction card.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yes the red ends are just for simple identification for the identification card.

The PC will work if it was directly connected to UNI-Di port on the NBN box. You must have had it set up like this

NBN UNI-D1 Port====Garage Ethernet Port=====Study Ethernet Port====PC

=====Study Ethernet Port====Gateway

Which would have explained why you had Internet on PC and the phone did not work.

Connect the NBN UN-Di1 Port to the port that was connected to the LAN port on Gateway. Disconnect PC from Ethernet Port in study and connect Gateways WAN port to this Ethernet port.

Highlighted

Many thanks, I was close. I’ll remove the PC as advised.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

This worked. Had to remove PC from wall outlet. Took a while for NBN to find router and phone after moving them, most disturbing that slow connection part. Anyway all moved and working well, many thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit