Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Relocation / reconnection of telstra grey (wall) box

Hi,

12 months ago a telstra grey box that was located on a garage wall was disconnected so that the garage could be demolished. I now have the grey box (see photo) stored and need to have it attached to a new location on the wall of the house and the cable reconnected. The cable that previously fed into the grey box will need to be extended so that it can reach the new location where the box is to be mounted. I have had a great deal of difficulty finding anyone at telstra to talk to about this, after several attempts I have been redirected, given incorrect numbers etc and have not been able to have a coherent conversation with anyone regarding what the issue is and how to resolve. I am desparetly hoping that someone on this forum might be able to assist! I am happy to deal directly with a registered cabler but initial information is that telstra will need to do the repairs / connection to the grey box prior to a cabler running the cable from the box into the house. Any info about the process to be followed, contact numbers at Telstra, costs etc would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Relocation / reconnection of telstra grey (wall) box

Not sure if anyone can help you here.. I would've thought as your service has been disconnected for twelve plus months you'd just call up connection and ask for a new service?

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

This is what is referred to as a Madison box.  The box, and any cabling from it to the street is Telstra property, and you can get in trouble for tampering with it.

I would think that you would likely need to treat your situation similar to a new connection.  So you would need to get your own licenced cabler out to repair/install/extend the lead-in for the service and any internal wiring that needs to be done.

Then contact Telstra and request a new line connection.  Assuming your cabler/tech has completed the work correctly, they will get you up and running.

You could possibly get Telstra to come out as part of a new line application to get an idea of what they will and won't do, and work from there though, to be sure.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted

My understanding is the Madison box and garage no longer exist (well the garage has now been reinstated). As this is the case I can only surmise Telstra terminated the service line in the pit/street prior the works as stated by the O.P. Hence I suggested to apply for a new connection and run from there.. Mind I do agree with the final paragraph.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

Telstra normally wouldn't ask a customer to store an old Madison box for reconnection a year later.  This makes me think that it wasn't properly disconnected/terminated by a Telstra tech at the time.

Also, being that they had a Madison box, likely as a boundary point, I suspect that they will still need a private contractor to come and perform work.

Yeah though, getting a Telstra tech out first will make it clear what needs to be done.  They will (likely in a huff) tell the OP what he needs to do before they will connect him up.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

thanks to everyone for the advice. Kalak is correct in that the Maddison box was not properly disconnected/terminated by a Telstra tech at the time. the Garage no longer exists so will need to find somewhere else to mount the maddison box... Sounds like getting the telstra tech out is the first step, was hoping that I might be able to go directly to a private certified contractor to do the whole job and then just apply for  a new line with all the infastructure intact.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit