Level 1: Cadet

Remove foxtel, keep cable connection

I've had a 100+mbps cable internet + Foxtel via Telstra + phone + mobile ph and for 7+yrs. I now just want the cable internet portion. How would I go about this?

I am very happy with the speed and stability of the cable network. It usually sits around 115 off-peak and sometimes drops to as low as 95 in peak. Other locals appear to have so many issues with the NBN including regular drop outs, speed issues, configuration issues etc. I have no interest in moving to the NBN.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Remove foxtel, keep cable connection

You might not be interested in moving to the NBN internet, but I think you will find you have to. Depends how long NBN has been ready in your location - they give you an 18 month grace period and if you haven't moved, you lose the service..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

If you are concerned about speed of NBN HFC, there are ways to keep or even improve your speed - for instance I am currently on 200+ (actually 270 most of the time) d/l, 25 u/l  but you do pay extra to get that..  depends what is important to you..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Thanks Steve,

My local store said that Telstra can and will make exceptions for current cable users as this hardware is not being decommissioned. Rather than make an appointment at the store which is inconvenient, I thought I'd ask here.

Hey Steve, I already get over 100mbps for less than a 200+ plan. I don't need 200+. 100 is good for me.

That comment from your Telstra store seems at odds with this ..https://www.telstra.com.au/connected/move-to-nbn-what-you-need-to-know

but if you are willing to risk it, it's your choice I guess..

Stevo 52

If you do move to NBN HFC, you speed will halve for the same money...  I provided that information so you know there are upgrade paths availabe..  you choice again, whether you choose to do it...

Stevo 52
Level 25: The Singularity

I would not be taking the word of your local Telstra Store. The regulations do not allow Telstra to make an exception to migration on HFC. The HFC has been sold to NBN Co and once the switch off date has been reached, only NBN based services will be operational. Telstra cannot stop that.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thank you, you've made realise that Telstra isn't right for me. I've ordered NBN from Aussie broadband. The fact I can't speak to even a sales person when it suits me, especially when the cost is higher than the competition, is crazy. I'm  out.

Telstra really should look as unbundling included phone calls from their plans. If they did that, they'd only be $1 more expensive than Aussie Broadband for the equivalent plans.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit