JIMMOYZ
Level 1: Cadet

Replacing T gateway router on the NBN (my internet is horrible, help!)

Answered

Hi,

After getting the NBN with telstra, I have been getting lousy internet that is worse than before "upgrading". On my wireless laptop I constantly drop out with various errors such as "no data recieved" with this worsening at prime time hours (like 7pm). So I decided to get a new router; Netgear's WNDR4500. I have not yet installed because I rand telstra for some advice on installing and the dude just shut me down with "you cant replace the T gateway". 

However on forums I am hearing otherwise, so in simple terms (im new to this kind of thing) how can I use my new router/ fix my **bleep**ty internet?

on a side note with a computer wired directly to the t gateway there is a constant 8 mbps with not quite 1 in upload

on my laptop I am recieving...2 Mbps download and 0.2 upload, what is wrong????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Replacing T gateway router on the NBN (my internet is horrible, help!)

In regards to installing your Netgear modem, just plug it in directly to whichever UNI-D port you currently have an ethernet cable in and it will work.

If you have an IP Voice service however, this will no longer work without the T-Gateway.
Lathania

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Lathania
Accepted Solution

In regards to installing your Netgear modem, just plug it in directly to whichever UNI-D port you currently have an ethernet cable in and it will work.

If you have an IP Voice service however, this will no longer work without the T-Gateway.
Lathania

View solution in original post

JIMMOYZ

Hey Lathania,

thank you for helping me out, as you said the Ip voice service is down now that I have swapped my routers. at the moment I have connected my t gateway router to my new router to overcome this problem in the short term. 

We have three of the old phones in our house that were there before the NBN with one of the new ones we dont really need. what lines to I plug/swap to revert it back to what it was before the NBN so I dont have to have the T gateway router?

Lathania

Hi Jimmy,

On NBN installation your copper network is disconnected and removed so you can't have your old setup, the only way to have it similar is if the Telstra tech rewired a phone socket near the modem so that you can run a telephone cable from the T-Gateway to the socket and then have your phones as they used to be around the house.

But like I said, you're going to need that T-Gateway to run the voice.
Lathania

I wrote a reply to a message you put on someone else's topic on how to connect it before i found this. Since you have your net working the only remaining thing you can do is to plug the internet side port of the TG797n v3 to the LAN port on the router thats got the internet and the phones will work (the setup works with my DIR-615). Or if you want to evade the TG altogether, it is probably a VoIP, and those things can be had for $30-100.

If you have your old telstra issued speedstream 6520, you might be able to use its WAN/LAN port, although what would you set for NAT (disabled, NAT+IP, NAPT*, both) and RIP (disable#, V1, V2, both, active)?

*most likly (most often used), ISP gives one IP and you need NAT if you have multiple devices. #said to be unnecessary if you only have one router. transfers a routing table to other routers every 30s. leave disabled else V1 (universally supported).

Charlie

Noizboy

Hi there,

Can you tell me if there are other routers with voice available for the Telstra NBN?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Noizboy,

If your voice service goes through the modem, then you will need to keep that modem however you can bridge a BYO router of your choice to that router.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Wasaabi
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Shelley,

You mention bridging, but the devices are routers not modems.  I have just had NBN installed but not impressed with the reliability of the T-Gateway.  If I replace it with my TP-Link Archer D7 and put the T-Gateway on the internal network, I am assuming I will need to configure it with a gateway address and DNS Server address of the replacement router and also probably disable NAT on the T-Gateway.  Can you explain where this is done on the T-Gateway?

Cheers,

Andrew

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The T-Gateway needs to be connected to the Uni-D port. Setting it into Bridge mode (disabling NAT) and disabling the WiFi will allow the SIP details to download for the phone service and then you can connect the BYO router of your choice to the T-Gateway.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Wasaabi

Thanks Shelley,

The issue I had with the T-Gateway was it restarted several times over a short period of time after only 2 days of use and seems to periodically disconnect and reconnect.  If it needs to be connected directly to a UNI-D port for the voice services to work then I will keep it in place but follow up with Tech Support in case I have a dodgy part.

Cheers,

Andrew

mACca431

Hey Shelly

I was Wondering if i replaced my T-Gateway with an aftermarket router could I use the T hub 2 handsets for phone calls without the T gateway?    I'm on the NBN wireless if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Daniel

Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey MACca431,

The T-Hub and handsets won't work with any other modems, but if you still have the base station that came with the unit, you can use this instead Smiley Happy

Brodie

mACca431

Hey Brodie

So as long as i use the Base station the Voice component will work? If so that is great news  Smiley Very Happy  

Thank you very much

Cheers 

Daniel

kiza

Hi Shelley or anybody else who can answer from Telstra.

Why Telstra denies providing SIP settings to users unlike other providers such as iinet? They are just too easy - 3 lines of text (excluding known component - phone number):

SIP domain

SIP server

Password

SIP settings would provide easy full replacement of Telstra Gateway by BYO modems when customers want that.

bigjas

I am thinking of replacing the T gateway too as this divices really sucks and can't provide the speed as promised by Telstra. When i move my PC upstairs which is less than 15 meters, the speed drops to 2-10mbps, but my speed is supposed to 50mbps. Really disappointted about this device. All i need to know which router is compatiable with NBN, should i buy a modern router or just wifi routher? I've seen lots of good comments on Netgear R7000 and D7000. D7000 is definately NBN ready, but how about the Wifi Router  D7000? Does anyone know it? 

Susie1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hey dude, in another 18 or so months everybody will be on the national broadband like it or not blame the government if you like but theres no going back to the old system we just have to rolle along with it.

Pilotsignal

OK Guys,

I have been switched to NBN now and the first thing I noticed that T-Gateway is a single band WiFi (2.4 GHz) only, which is bad for me as this band is fully occupied by my neibourhood. In order to keep my old TP-Link (a very good router with dual band) as wireless access point I have managed to hook it up to T-Gateway without any problems. Now, I have my internet modem and phone line connected to T-Gateway and local WiFi handled by my old router at 5GHz band.

Very simple very good configuration :-)

Brendan75
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I know this topic is older, but in some ways it is still relevant.

To make a note on it and calrify some things.  Telstra use their "T-Gateway" devices as an ATA for VoIP to provide your telephone line.  As Telstra do NOT give out their VoIP details, you must use the T-Gateway (or Max/Max2) as your VoIP ATA.

You do not have to use the T-Gateway as your router though.

You can buy a third parter router, connect this to the UNI-D port that is assigned for Telstra on the NBN NTD.  You then connect the Telstra T-Gateway Device to your Routers LAN port.  Red WAN Port on T-Gateway to a LAN port on your router.

Do not connect any other device to the T-GATEWAY and do not use the T-GATEWAY for wireless.

This will enable you to use your third party router as designed and still keep the Telstra VoIP service.

Personally, I ditched the Telstra VoIP service as i use my mobile phone for everything, and being on the HFC network for NBN, there is no battery backup so no phone when there is a power outage for me.

So in summary:

NBN Uni-D --> Third Party Routers WAN port --> one of the Third Party Routers LAN ports --> T-Gateway device WAN (Red) Port --> T-Gateway Device Green port to phone/phone base station or internally wire this port to other phone sockets in the house (with a licenced contractor of course)

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

Please note some issues that you would encounter by connecting Telstra gateway behind third party router for VOIP.

These issues have also been discussed in other forums too.

The best workaround for VOIP is to connect third party router behind Telstra Gateway.

Issue connecting Telstra gateway behind third party router.jpg

zombiekil

T gateway is a load of garbage I use Cisco 2901 Router for Telstra NBN Biz, I can use VOIP Dot services with it.

The only problem if I reset POE switches, Panasonic Cordless Phone supplied by Telstra another load of garbage.

Will automatic reset the phone from static IP to dynamic ip and turn off Enable SSAF (SIP Source Address Filter)

I don't think Telstra knows want they are doing idiots. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit