Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Requesting advice regarding high packet loss

Hi, and thanks for clicking on my post.

This is part hardware question, part bigpond broadband question. I'm hoping someone could give me some insight.

I'm paying for BigPond® Broadband 500GB Elite - ADSL2+, Telstra T-Bundle Connector™ Edge bundle. My use case includes heavy cloud storage usage, video/media streaming, VoIP, and gaming.

Lately we've been running into serious issues, first showing up in VoIP. People I talk to report that my voice is coming through heavily broken up. As I started trying to figure out the issue, it started affecting gaming and occasionally video streaming - taking a long time to initialize and get up to a good resolution in HD. I started to record ping tests and found out that I was experiencing obscene amounts of packet loss - often higher than 70%. As I write this message I record this from pingtest.net from the closest server: http://www.pingtest.net/result/96758823.png

I've isolated this issue as it correlates exclusively with uploading. Often I have to disable the modem's WiFi and pause Dropbox/One Drive syncing in order to talk to someone over Skype or Mumble. Heavy downloading appears to be entirely unaffected, though.

My sync speed is at 1,020 / 22,064 up/down, in kbps, as I write this - these numbers are pretty average of my connection. The download rate is acceptible but I believe I'm running into a wall when it comes to uploading. As heavy cloud storage is just part of my use case, I went with the highest plan possible thinking this would not be an issue.

Is my up speed indicative of a normal sync speed, or does this reflect a line/hardware issue? Is obscene amounts packet loss a common symptom? Is there perhaps a way to normalize the up/down sync speeds in order to provide a bigger upload buffer at the expense of download?

Lastly, trying to access my modem (a Technicolor TG587n v3) via web interface often takes an excessive amount of time (over 10 minutes in some cases). I'm inclined to believe from others with this modem that it's just not a very responsive device, and I wouldn't mind replacing it. Would this be feasible, and if so, does Telstra have a list of accepted hardware? If an official list doesn't exist, is anyone able to recommend a replacement?

If there's any other information I could provide, I'd be happy to. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any insight into my issues.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Requesting advice regarding high packet loss

Hi whitestrake,

By the looks of things your synch speeds both up and down are around the maximum that our ADSL2+ has to offer.

With regard to the packet loss issue, I'll make sure a member of our tech team takes a look at your post tomorrow to see if they can help!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Im kind of new here, but i was experience packet loss also, what fixed it for was if your connection method is PPPOE is to lower your MTU packet it usually is at 1500. Check your router settings for what yours may be at.

The best way to figure out what an ideal MTU is by opening cmd and type

ping www.google.com –f –l 1500

(1500 being the MTU packet size)

keep on lowering the packet size that command line until you find the sweet spot where no packets are being lost (it will tell you how much is lost after the test is complete) do it in lots of 50's, so 1500 then 1450 then 1400 then 1350 then 1300.

Ideally it should be 0 loss around 1400. Then just change that setting to 1400 on your router/modem then try your ping test again.

If your connection method is PPPOA you may not be able to change your MTU packet size. For this
Try changing your Encapsulation to VCMUX. VPI/VCI is at 8/35 your DSL modulation is on ADSL2+ and bitswap and SRA are on.

This is just what i have mine set too and i recive no packet loss. But what works for me may not work for you.

Highlighted

Hey Ben_J,

Is high packet loss when maxing out bandwidth abnormal then? Is it worth perhaps chasing down Telstra tech support directly via phone to get it looked into (assuming nothing comes of the tech team member's look-in)?

Highlighted

Hey jamierawr88,

Thanks for the suggestions, my understanding is that I can't change the MTU from my modem (Technicolor TG587n v3) but I can do this in Windows. I will have a look at this to see if it mitigates the effect. Which modem do you use that you were able to access this setting?

My connection method is indeed PPPoE at 8/35 VPI/VCI. Also, keep in mind this is not a permanent state of packet loss but simply the (most annoying) symptom of maxing out my upload bandwidth (which happens extremely frequently). For example, right now, I'm crystal clear: http://www.pingtest.net/result/96881689.png

I will have to wait until I am experiencing packet loss again to figure out of MTU changes will help.

Highlighted

maybe try changing your connection method to PPPOA wtih VCMUX

Changing the mtu packet size on windows would only apply to the connection between your pc and the router, not the router and internet. Just a little heads up.

I use a D-LINK DSL-2890AL

Highlighted

Thanks for the tip. I will wait until the internet is not being used later tonight and I will tinker with this. My understanding is that PPPoA naturally avoids the MTU issues that PPPoE has by having a smaller MTU by default, and that setting PPPoA over PPPoE at the very least has no downsides.
Highlighted

That is correct, Theorectly there is no downside to PPPOA.

When you change to PPPOA it may take around up to 10 minutes for your internet to be initialised

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi whitestrake,

The maximum speed available for upload on BigPond ADSL services is 1mbps. I would suggest throttling your programs so that they only use a portion of the upload bandwidth.

Regarding a BYO modem, customers can use any ADSL2+ capable modem of their choice and the settings for BYO modems connecting to BigPond can be found here:  https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/set-up-adsl-byo-modem

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

@whitestrake wrote:

Hey Ben_J,

"Is it worth perhaps chasing down Telstra tech support

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would say "go for it" !!!

You can borrow my car !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Is this only occurring in "peak" period's?

A number of NBN users are reporting Slow downloads and packet loss (~5%) in peak periods, which is from 11am to Midnight  Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit