hecuba669
Level 3: Gumshoe

Retaining email address and cancelling Bigpond ADSL service?

Answered
Is it possible to cancel a Bigpond ADSL service and retain the email address?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Retaining email address and cancelling Bigpond ADSL service?

@Ombudsman,

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/telstra-mail may be of assistance to you.

Currently this is offered for free to customers with existing Consumer Broadband accounts.

This is also available to customers that are cancelling their accounts, but wish to retain their email address.

This is free for the first 12 months, then a standard cost of $79 renewal fee (per mailbox, per year)

Contact the team on 13 22 00 for assistance with this.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
47 REPLIES 47
benjaminhamdorf
Level 1: Cadet

Hi.

I am currently having the same problem. I've done a lot of researching and I think the only way to do this is by getting a casual dial up account with Telstra which is only $25 a year and having the email address moved onto this service and then cancelling the adsl.
benjaminhamdorf

Cancelling ADSL and keeping email on dial up service

I'm planning on getting a dial up service and having my email address changed to it so when I cancel my ADSL I don't loose my bigpond email. When I do this do I have to do it all at once or can I get the dial up account and move the email address to that and then cancel my ADSL at a later date?
gregII
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Benjamin, 

You would be unable to retain your current ADSL Bigpond email address via Casual Dialup. This can only be done if switching to another Broadband service/technology eg Mobile Broadband. 

If you did close your ADSL service and didn't retain any type of Broadband with us, you would regrettably lose this address as soon as the service is cancelled. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

hecuba669
Level 3: Gumshoe

Interesting. Its a shame such a large ISP as Bigpond cannot provide such a service when other ISP's can.
dauser
Level 8: Inspector

So is the information here wrong? http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/Email-Address-Retention/td-p/39... and http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Plans-Services/Keeping-my-current-Bigpond-email-Changing-...

Email Address Retention
Options
on ‎09-09-2011 05:43 PM

For many people, myself included, an email address is more important than a phone number and being asked to change it can cause massive inconvenience. Your email address may be used;

To keep in touch with friends and family all over the globe
For your business so clients or vendors can contact you
As your login username or where your password will be sent if you forget it for websites such as Facebook, Twitter or PayPal
To receive invoices from utilities such as our Telstra Email Bill
To notify you of charges on your Credit Card to prevent fraud
To receive newsletters or updates from websites

I am sure there are many other uses I have missed but the point is that I am sure we can all agree: updating all of the above with new email details can be a chore and one that we could do without!

But what happens when your circumstances change and you need to change services? Perhaps you currently have ADSL but move in to an area where Cable is available or want to swap that fixed broadband service for something more mobile.

Previously, this meant have to say goodbye to your faithful BigPond email address and be faced with the inconvenience of updating all your contact points. The good news is that we have received your feedback and now have a process where you can keep your BigPond email address when moving between different services with us as an additional mailbox at no cost.

This also applies to old email addresses that you had with us previously that you would like back!

Before you take advantage of this new process there are some things that you need to know.
While we will make every effort to minimise the loss of emails you receive while your mailbox is being moved/assigned, it is possible that the mailbox will not accept incoming emails for a short period of time. During this time, you will not be able to access your mailbox.
Any existing emails, address book and mail settings (like mail-forwarding) will be lost from webmail. We strongly advise that you set-up your mail client (like Microsoft Outlook) to download your emails and address book to your local machine via POP, if you have not already done so.
While the additional mailbox will be set up at no cost to you any early termination charges may continue to apply.
All other BigPond email addresses (other than the ones requested) will be lost; these include any secondary mailboxes associated to the primary email address.
While in the vast majority of cases we can perform the BigPond email transfer/assignment successfully, in a small number of cases, it may not be possible. In these circumstances, you will be contacted and advised.
Okay, so you now know we CAN do it but how do you go about requesting it?

Jump onto our Facebook Support page and either chat with us live or submit an email support request. Send a message to our Social Media team, @Telstra on Twitter or call us on 132200 and say ‘BigPond Billing’.

-Dylan

Some clarification if it has changed please .

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You'll notice in that post I mentioned changing between broadband services, but not changing to a non-broadband service (like casual dial-up). The email address is re-enabled as an additional mailbox on your new service, but it only works with broadband services.

-Dylan

sma

Dylan,

Your post is the 3rd different answer I've received on this issue in the last week. I called phone support and asked if I transferred my ADSL service to another provider could I retain my email address. I was advised that if I paid $25 for a dialup service I could do so.  So I requested the service be set up but found a couple of days later after logging in to My Account that my request has been cancelled.

I called phone support again and was advised this time that I did not need to set up a new service, that my email address would be retained free of charge after my ADSL service was cancelled.  I just used live chat support and was again advised that my email address would be retained free of charge.

Is there official documentation from Bigpond that will help me to know which of these 3 different answers is correct?

Scott

Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sma, 

Depending on your account type, it is now possible to keep your email address activing whilst cancelling all BigPond Internet Services. 

Dylan's answer is from June last year, so definitely doesn't mean it's the most up to date information. 

However, this isn't an option for all customers, and the $25 casual dial up service is the only option for those who can't have the above, so it's something that needs to be confirmed with our staff at the time of choosing to cancel your main Internet service.

It sounds like you are one of the lucky people who can have the service without the charge, so that's fantastic for you.

adams_083
Level 6: Bloodhound

How do you know if you are on a plan where you can get this without extra charge?

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey adams_083,

if you are thinking of changing to a different service type then when you talk to us about it (for instance by calling on 132200) ask and we'll let you know. Chances are that you will be able to keep your email address though.

-Dylan

hank3e2

Hi

so if i cancel all my accounts with bigpond/telstra can i still use my current @bigpond.com email address?

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Hank - if you're currently subscribed to one of our broadband plans then you wouldn't be able to keep the email address active if you cancelled all of your accounts - you can move the address to another BigPond broadband service in your name, or reactivate the address if you come back to Telstra in the future.

hank3e2

hi Hank here again,

after posting this I called the telstra team and ask the same question and a friendly lady called Jennifer Employee Number: D709634 told me i can keep my email address.

so who is wrong here?

thanks

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

If you're currently using an old dial-up service you can move the address to a Casual dial-up plan which retains the email address for $25 per year and allows dial-up access for $4.95 per hour, but if you're cancelling a broadband service then the email address can't be kept open separately or transferred back to the dial-up option. 

highgatejohnny

A friend in Perth is moving to Brunswick in Victoria.  Now has Bigpond ADSL but will going on to NBN broadband with a different company.  Can she retain her bigpond.com address?

Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If your friend no longer has a  BigPond internet service, her email address wouldn't be able to be retained once she leaves and regrettably we no longer offer Dial Up services to attach the existing mailbox to. 

Steph

MrChalliwell
Level 2: Rookie

Hey Steph,

I think you will find as long as the person logs into there Bigpond.com or bigpond.net.au email address once every 180 days the email address will stay active, however if it's not logged into within this timeframe the service will discontinue.

Best regards

Cain

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi MrChalliwell, 

If there is still an active service with Telstra, then a BigPond email can stay active, as it can be associated to an active account. From what highgatejohnny has mentioned, it sounds like their friend will not have an active account with Telstra (no services at all), which in turn would mean the BigPond email mailbox would be disconnected once the account is finalised. 

Chog

Good day

Is this one solution?

I will cancel my Bigpond account, and to retain my Bigpond email address, I will purchase a Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Annual Pass for $50.00. I will then renew at the end of the year if there are still stragglers using the old Bigpond Address.

Will this work, or should I still call customer service?

Thank You

Peter

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Give us a call on 132200 about that Chog.

Retired_Ninja

I will be changing internet providers as soon as NBN becomes available in the next month or so. Will I be able to keep my bigpond.com email address? I have an iphone with telstra and I will not be changing providers. I would like to continue using my email address on my iphone (contract) and ipad (pre-paid).

Thanks

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Retired_Ninja,

the Bigpond email address, and indicated throughout the rest of this thread, is tied to your fixed internet service. You can retain the address if you migrate from Bigpond ADSL to Bigpond NBN. You may retain access to your email account for a period of time after you disconnect from Bigpond, due to the other active post paid services on the account, but you will more than likely lose access to it at some point. Unfortunately there is no exact timeframe I can give as to how long you will retain access, if it all. Having come from a retail environment, it was always a "try it and see" situation.

Hope this helps.

Retired_Ninja

Thanks Dan.
atom1

I have a similar query. I need to move my father on to a new laptop. Currently he has a 6 year old 3g(?) card in the existing laptop with a postpaid mobile broadband and uses the bigpond.com email address that comes with that. With the new laptop, I want to move him to a 4G puck for the speed and also so he can have other devices on the net. Thinking about doing this on prepaid rather than postpaid to cap any accidental download blowouts.

I would like to keep him on the existing bigpond.com email address. Is having the prepaid wireless enough to do this? He will be retaining two fixed line phone services with Telstra as well if that helps.

lolly61

I have ADSL2 & a landline in WA at a property that we no longer live at permanently.  We now live in SA with a landline & mobile broadband, plus we have 2 mobile services - all with Telstra.  As we are no longer using the services in WA I want to cancel them but retain the 3 email addresses as we are in business.  ADSL isn't available to us at our SA property, mobile broadband is it, until the NBN becomes available (I'll probably be in an old folks home by then).  I'm being told by the extremely helpful lady at Telstra that I can't keep the 3 email adresses if I cancel those 2 services in WA!!  Are they serious?  I have to keep paying for BOTH the landline & ADSL if I want to keep the email addresses?  I'm happy to pay SOMETHING but not $70/month - that's outrageous!

highgatejohnny

Not sure if I fully understand your situation, but you can cancel your Bigpond service and keep the old bigpond address if you have a friend or relative who will be on bigpond.com long term and get their permission to attach your old Bigpond address to their service.  I think each Bigpond customer is allowed up to 16 different Bigpond email addresses.  There is no additional cost to either party and no privacy issues.  

lolly61

Thanks for your reply.  I already have Bigpond Mobile Broadband (on a contract) but the advice I had today was that I couldn't attach these 3 email addresses from the ADSL2 Bigpond account to the mobile one.  If I was to have ADSL at the new house it wouldn't be a problem.  Unfortunately I can't get ADSL (or anything else) here.

highgatejohnny

The example I have is Person A is a Bigpond ADSL customer in Perth; Person B is a former Bigpond customer now with another NBN company in Melbourne. Person A now has B's Bigpond.com email address as one of their addresses and this is accessed by B every day without any other ongoing input or knowledge from A.
Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Lolly61

If your email addresses are all @bigpond.com email addresses, then they would be able to be attached to your BigPond Mobile Broadband account, at no cost. 

This can be easily organised by speaking with us 

http://tel.st/hsc3

Kind Regards 

Gareth_Lisa

Hi

We have a telstra.com email address and looking at changing internet providers due to the poor speed of the local Telstra service.  We are not on NBN and unlikely to be for some time but have a local provider in our residential estate offering 8 x the speed for the same price over the resort's proprietary network.

One consideration is our long term telstra.com email address which is connected to an ADSL2+ service.  We would ideally like to keep it but understand (some) of the confusing answers provided in this thread that suggest we can't without the ongoing ADSL service.  The only services we will retain are a pre-paid Data Plan (iPad) and a Fixed Line Phone Service.

What are our options ?

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You do need to retain the internet services to retain the mailbox. If you have a 13 digit account number then the mailbox may continue working after the service has been cancelled but that is not something that you can rely on long term.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ombudsman

Hi,

One of my clients have 3 phone numbers and an internet servcie wirth Telstra. They have a bigpond email address.

I called up Telstra Business customer support just to be informed that they will loose their email address if they cancell the phone and internet.

I was willing to pay a fee for maintaining the email address but there was no such option.

My ony other option would be to sign up for a prepaid servcie, if that allows them to maintain the email address. Or, to keep a phone no: with Telstra.

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@Ombudsman,

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/telstra-mail may be of assistance to you.

Currently this is offered for free to customers with existing Consumer Broadband accounts.

This is also available to customers that are cancelling their accounts, but wish to retain their email address.

This is free for the first 12 months, then a standard cost of $79 renewal fee (per mailbox, per year)

Contact the team on 13 22 00 for assistance with this.

- Matt

View solution in original post

AdvanceAustrali

Keeping Email @bigpond.com when upgrading plan to telstra

Can you keep your @bigpond.com email address when you have to change to telstra as they arent doing any plan upgrades and is shutting down the bigpond internet. We only have wireless as we are on the road full time

OutbackDave

Hi I will be soon moving, My current expensive Mobile Data plann will be scrapped, as theonly option at the new address is NBN Satelitte, which Telstra/Bigpond does not support. is there anyway possible to keep my bigpond email for my company, or do i need to pay for a mobile data plan that i cant use to keep it

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi OutbackDave,

You are able to keep your Telstra BigPond email account, as part of our new features. You’ll need to take up a yearly subscription for ‘Paid Email’.  We’ll give you the first 12 months at no charge.

You can read more about how this works:- 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/Bigpond_Email_Update@tkb/article-...

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/broadband/personal-critic...

Kind Regards 

dnunda

Hi Lindy
The linked Telstra document states there is an up-front charge of $79.00 - no mention of first 12 months free. How do I get this.
Chris_G
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Dnunda,

This is automatic if you cancel an internet service and retain the established email address and will be part of the terms and conditions when you request to retain the email address.

-Chris

Ebenezer55

Hi,

I have two forms of Bigpond Internet:

firstly - Post Paid ADSL through home phone and

secondly - Prepaid mobile ADSL through a mobile "dongle".

Can I cancel Bigpond ADSL and retain my 3 email addresses with these being attached to the mobile dongle broadband???

Interested to know if there are any fees for retaining the three email addresses???

I've heard there's a $5.00 per month fee. is this per email account??? Or is there a discount cos I willl still retain a bigpond mobile broadband service.

I see there has been discussion about this, but since it was quite some time ago, maybe rules have changed...

Thanks

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ebenezer55, 

We do offer a Mailbox account, for Customers who do not have internet connections with Telstra. 

These Mailboxes are available at no cost for the first 12 months and then $79 per annum ongoing. This would be per mailbox.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/broadband/personal-critic...

Kind Regards 

Grinch25

Hi I will be changing my internet service provider soon and want to kep my Bigpond email address.  I have been a long term customer to Telstra for both phones and Internet but I need to change my internet service provider.  My moble phones will be remaining with Telstra does this mean that I will get my bigpond email addresse for $25 per year?

Chris_G
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Grinch25,

You can retain your email address however an annual fee may apply after the first 12 months. I recommend giving us a call on 132200 so we can confirm the specifics for you.

-Chris

bobbiebingo

Hi Delta Squad, Thanks for all your advivce. One quick question though. We have a pre-paid mobile broadband service and home phone and i-pad pre-paid too. We need to retain our bigpond email address. Can we still do this through the "subscribed mailbox service". Very little info on it anywhere.Thanks

Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bobbiebingo, 

You will need to call to keep the email address sorry.  I recommend giving us a call on 132200 and we can arrange this for you. 

Kymbo61

Hi
I have bigpond mobile broadband, if I disconnect service and sign up for telstra home internet, will I lose my bigpond email address. I I also have a telstra post paid phone account.
Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Kymbo61

You can retain your email account if you close your services. 

You just need to speak with our team on 132200 and ask for a Mailbox account. This is free for the first 12 months, and ongoing there is a charge of $70 per year to retain it.

Kind regards 

Kymbo61

Why do loyal telstra/bigpond customers have to pay to retain their bigpond email? Isn't bigpond part of telstra? Might have to rethink my home internet and phone provider!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit