anjanmj
Level 2: Rookie

Reverse DNS on our Static IP

Hi Gurus,

I have been with Telstra with the last 4 years and recently took a static IP and using an NBN Plan.

I am a home user, however, for my homelab purpose, I registered a domain name "anjanmajumdar.com" from a domain provider.

Now the issue started. I gave the domain provider with my static IP and they created an A record that is resolving to my domain name. But when I do a reverse lookup it resolves to "cpe-144-137-28-81.static.nsw.asp.telstra.net". I want Telstra to create a PTR record that points to my Domain Name. If Telstra cannot point it then there is no use of taking a static IP and paying 10$ per month.

I have spent several hours with Technical support and they have no clue of what I am speaking. One of them told me to contact Telstra Platinum support and pay 10$. Why should I pay for the support? 

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Anjan

Anjan Majumdar

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Reverse DNS on our Static IP

Is 144.137.28.81 your static zip address?

anjanmj

Hi Supreme Being,

Yes, it is my static IP address.

Thanks

Anjan

Anjan Majumdar
cf4

If that is your static IP address then everything has been set up correctly. Your URL "anjanmajumdar.com"  is resolving to the correct IP address. People will be able to access your site remotely using "anjanmajumdar.com".

If you are trying to run a web server you might have set up port forwarding on your modem.

anjanmj

Thanks for the update.

But when I do an rDNS then it is pointing to some cpe-144-137-28-81.static.nsw.asp.telstra.net. It should resolve to my domain name. There should be a PTR Record created at Telstra end which should resolve to my domain name. I need the PTR record as I need to test some mail servers for a homelab project of mine.

Below is the output of the nslookup for rDNS. I hope i was able to clarify the query.

> 144.137.28.81
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Name: cpe-144-137-28-81.static.nsw.asp.telstra.net
Address: 144.137.28.81

Thanks

Anjan

Anjan Majumdar
Jupiter

As Telstra aren't providing hosting services for your domain, they won't create a PTR for it. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
anjanmj

Hi Jupiter,

I understand Telstra is not hosting my domain services but then who will create a PTR record for my domain name when the static IP is provided by Telstra. All the other providers providing the service why Telstra is not providing or what is the solution to the issue.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Anjan

Anjan Majumdar
Chequer92

Hi Anjan

I honestly don't think this is a feature that Telstra supports on Residential Connections. The static IP option is provided for customers who need it to access work firewalls, not to host your own mail server.

The functionality is made available to Business Customers, via CustData (available for free with all business internet bundles, which also include the static IP free).

I am not sure of your circumstances and if you could potentionally switch to a service with CustData Access or not.

Also, regarding your comment of all other providers providing the service, most providers restrict access to features like Reverse DNS to business customers only. Reverse DNS is generally only needed for email and you don't particuarly want your Residential Customer's setting up email servers on their home connections if you can avoid it. There are a number of cloud solutions (some even provided by Telstra https://buycloud.telstra.com) that will offer the functionality your after, at a small price and with much better reliability (you shouldn't be trusting email to a Residential Connection). Although, as you said it was only for testing, that may not be the best option for you, however, rDNS shouldn't be a problem in testing due to the ability to just whitelist yourself.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jeremy

anjanmj

Hi Chequer92,

Thanks for the email and Update. The only purpose for my rDNS was to check the MX record for an application that I am building. 

I have many friends out here who are with different providers and they have rDNS from there providers using Residential Accounts.

I think Telstra as an organization should not discriminate for such a small PTR Record.

Anyways thanks for the help and support.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 🙂

Thanks

Anjan

Anjan Majumdar

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit