kyejohnson
Level 1: Cadet

Ridiculous service and ADSL Speed

HI,

My internet hasnt been working for the last couple of months, i was finally able to get telstra to send out a Tech and he fixed the issue ( for 2 days ). THe speed was around the 3.6 megabits per second mark. This morning when i tried to use the internet the speed had again droped to 0.04 megabits per second. 

After calling tech support i was informed that there is congestion on my "card" at the exchange and that it could take months to years to fix. 

Is there a soluition for this as i feel that either the wrong information has been given and that no solution is actually being done. 

Thank you in advance for any support i can get. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Ridiculous service and ADSL Speed

It sounds as though you may be on the receiving end of RIM congestion. It means that the bandwidth available to the RIM/Cabinet your services runs off isn't sufficient to handle the load of all the customers connected to it. This is generally more obvious during afternoon/evening peak periods.

Unless your cabinet is slated for an upgrade (as part of the TopHat program) then there isn't much you can do. Even if it is, it's a waiting game until that happens unfortunately.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Hi keyjohnson,

http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

This link has the planned upgrades for Telstra, be they software upgrades (increase available bandwidth), hardware upgrades (more fibre into the exchange) or the Top-Hat upgrades (ADSL2+ compatible exchanges installed into RIM cabinets)

Congestion is a sucky issue, I have personally experienced it - my home service was unusable during 5pm-11pm every night, usually worked great guns otherwise.

Bad news is that if you are on a congested exchange NBN is the way of the future and there are very few - if any - upgrades occurring in the future for ADSL.  Doesn't really make sense to put in a new $100,000+ DSLAM when it's going to be ripped out in the next 10 years to make way for Fibre, you may be one of the few lucky ones but I would doubt it.

If you don't feel that you're getting a resolution then try calling again or lodge a complaint - you will be soon told if the exchange is congested and what (if any) upgrades are planned, unfortunately/likely you will get the answer of "yes you are congested and we're not planning upgrades" in which case I hope NBN is rolling out for you soon Smiley Sad

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi KyeJohnson,

I am sending you a private message, if you would like to provide me with your details, I will have a look at your service and advise if there is anything we can do to assist or not as the case may be.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit