Ozsyd
Level 2: Rookie

Router as bridge

I have just installed Telstra FTTC nbn and I want to configure my old router Netgear R7000P as a bridge.

Until I installed nbn, R7000P was used as a router. How do I connect the old router to the network now so that I can configure it as a bridge? I tried to connect it to Telstra modem using an ethernet cable but it is not visible in the network and I am not able to  make any changes.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
gfk
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: Router as bridge

If your situation is to be like mine - two routers (one upstairs, one in the garage) wired to my main Telstra gateway, and each provides wired ports and wifi - perhaps you can follow the same approach. 

In each case, I logged into the old router (not to the new Telstra router/network), turned off DHCP and gave it a static IP address at the upper end of the range, e.g. my main router is 192.168.0.1 and the other two are ...200 and ...237.  I used a CAT6 cable between them using only LAN ports.  I've left the network names different.  I also separated the channels for the two in the house, i.e. the main router on 6, the other on 1.  (The one in the garage is a fair distance away and effectively inside a Farraday cage so it doesn't matter!)  I can connect to network devices (printer, Chromecast, etc.) and, if needed, can log into any router's admin console using it's static IP address.

And if this isn't what you're trying to do, please reply with some more details.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Ozsyd

@gfk wrote:

If your situation is to be like mine - two routers (one upstairs, one in the garage) wired to my main Telstra gateway, and each provides wired ports and wifi - perhaps you can follow the same approach. 

In each case, I logged into the old router (not to the new Telstra router/network), turned off DHCP and gave it a static IP address at the upper end of the range, e.g. my main router is 192.168.0.1 and the other two are ...200 and ...237.  I used a CAT6 cable between them using only LAN ports.  I've left the network names different.  I also separated the channels for the two in the house, i.e. the main router on 6, the other on 1.  (The one in the garage is a fair distance away and effectively inside a Farraday cage so it doesn't matter!)  I can connect to network devices (printer, Chromecast, etc.) and, if needed, can log into any router's admin console using it's static IP address.

And if this isn't what you're trying to do, please reply with some more details.

@gfk wrote:

Ozsyd

Sorry, I messed up with using Quote and I do not know how to delete my reply.

Thanks for your prompt response. What I want to do is to connect the router to an old TV that has no wifi, using an ethernet connection without having buy Google chrome cast etc. I do not know how to connect the old router to be able to log in and make changes. I am not able to make it visible in the new network. If I can log in then I can attempt to make it a bridge  for which there are instructions in the user manual. Hopefully, it will be visible in the new network when I move it to another room. 

Your help is appreciated. 

Ozsyd

Thanks for the link and I will read it. I want to connect the router to an old TV without wifi and I am not sure whether an access point can be used to have wired connection. The TV has an ethernet port. 

Ozsyd

I read the article in your link. None of the suggested ip addresses work and I am still not able to sign in. Will it help if I do a factory reset? Thanks for your help.

cf4

Yes it will help if you reset the router. Once the router is reset should be able to log in using default address and password on a device connected to routers LAN or WiFi

http://192.168.1.1

admin

password

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit