Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

SamKnows and ACCC - Measuring Broadband in Australia

Answered

I've signed up to and been accepted to take part in SamKnows/ACCC measuring my ISP's (Bigpond) NBN performance.

The ACCC’s program will measure and provide helpful information to consumers about the performance of home broadband services in Australia.

More info at https://samknows.com/

Now I can't find any information on how this will effect my Telstra frontier modem.

Their device, called a Whitebox, has the following connection setup.

1. Connect one end of the network cable to a spare port on your router (not the USB port). Plug the other end into the port marked "WAN" on the back of the Whitebox.

2. Disconnect any other devices plugged into your router and plug them into the back of the Whitebox instead. You can use ports LAN1 - LAN4.

So I am wondering if I do that, does that mean my Frontier modem will not fall back to 4G if I loose my NBN connection? Its like it is working in bridge mode.

I understand the ins/outs of ADSL but NBN is all new to me atm.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: SamKnows and ACCC - Measuring Broadband in Australia

Your gateway will not be in Bridge mode. The Gateway can only be bridged by manually setting it to Bridged in the gateway's GUI.

The 3G/4G backup on Frontier will still work.

The Frontier Gateway will treat the White box as just another device connected to its LAN ports. The white box will act like a switch and monitor the internet connection, do occasional test  and recording any interruptions, slow speed or errors.

I initially applied to take part in this survey  but decided not to take part once I had read the privacy conditions. They have the right to share your personal information including contact details with third parties.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
rajnifan
Level 1: Cadet

we do not have to configure a smartphone for used 4G or 3G internet but sometimes Airtel don’t have a 3G net setting on your smartphone then you have to set up GPRS and APN setting for 3G for 2G internet on your Airtel connection.

cf4
Accepted Solution

Your gateway will not be in Bridge mode. The Gateway can only be bridged by manually setting it to Bridged in the gateway's GUI.

The 3G/4G backup on Frontier will still work.

The Frontier Gateway will treat the White box as just another device connected to its LAN ports. The white box will act like a switch and monitor the internet connection, do occasional test  and recording any interruptions, slow speed or errors.

I initially applied to take part in this survey  but decided not to take part once I had read the privacy conditions. They have the right to share your personal information including contact details with third parties.

View solution in original post

Ozmoz

@cf4 wrote:

Ok, thanks for your help cf4 :-)

I think the third parties would be between SamKnows, ACCC, and possibly my ISP, or other ISP's. But then I don't know who else would benefit from it?

To me it's the need for info of how my internet connection is really going that I think makes it worth it. I've always preferred more info than less :-)

Personally, I've always found Bigpond to be very reliable for ADSL, and it hasn't yet missed a beat with the NBN (Inc speeds). So seeing how things go in the long run, especially during peak periods will be interesting.

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Ozmoz

Just a bit more FAQ.

The SamKnows Whitebox turned up today.

It just plugs into a unused port of the Frontier, and the other end plugs into the Wan of the Whitebox. With all the other network cables coming off the Whitebox. So happy it doesn't interfere with my modem in any way.

Will take about 24hrs for them to know I am up and running and then I will start seeing detailed data about my Bigpond connection via their portals.

It will be interesting to see all this data flow in from everyone and see how all the ISP's perform.

ACCC homes in on better broadband speed info for consumers

SQXPRT
Level 1: Cadet

I've got one.
Problem that I see is that it's measuring the NBN, not the ISP performance.
My reasoning is based on two points.
1. The ISPs know about the test and the terms of reference set in the ACCC investigation. They are able to detect the white box-specific traffic and prioritise those requests.
and
2. My own testing with speedtest.net agrees with the white box results, but when you go to an independent test site such as m-lab's Network Diagnostic Test, the results are very different from the speedtest/white box test results.
The white box is almost always reporting on peak speeds, not real throughput.

Ozmoz

@SQXPRTwrote:

2. My own testing with speedtest.net agrees with the white box results, but when you go to an independent test site such as m-lab's Network Diagnostic Test, the results are very different from the speedtest/white box test results.

Online speed tests are not an exact science either. They can, and are, effected by their own hosting server loads.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit