practical
Level 3: Gumshoe

Service health check

Hello,

Does this new Service health check work?  I have tried a few times and never seem to get results. Even contacted helpdesk, ended with no results from them.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
30 REPLIES 30
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Service health check

The automated checks can pick up some types of faults, but not all.

What problems are you having?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
practical

When I run test from these apps or browser they seem to fail.

The speed test to modem on My Telstra app fails as well.

Just seeing if its normal.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Is your device connected (or showing as connected) over Wi-Fi, to your modem?

Are you able to reach any site using your browser on your device?

How are you getting to CrowdSupport?

What indicators are showing on the modem - if it is a Smart Modem 2, is the front light blue or green? and is it steady?  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

How long did you run the service tests for?  I tried this today and it took several minutes to complete and come back with a result. It actually seemed to me like the app had hung and after I went back and then into the tests again, then looked at the results again, they had completed OK..  I think part of the problem is there is no progress bar or message (an a Pixel 5 anyway) so it is hard to tell the status or if the test is actually running because there is no real time user feedback..

Just running speed test to the modem was quicker but still seemed to take longer than a standard Telstra or Ookla speed test, where there is some choice as to which server you use..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
practical

The test at the top was done by desktop, ethernet to modem. All lights are steadly on green. 

Have run test on laptop by wifi and mobile app, get same results.  Even use Technicolor DJA0230TLS get same results.

SteveW_52

And can you browse to other sites on the laptop and the mobile?

Can you explain what problem/s you were having that prompted you to do these tests?

Have you power cycled your modem or carried out a factory reset at all?

Stevo 52
practical

This is the speed test app resut.

I use to get results with all these apps but for a few weeks now they don't work. 

SteveW_52

I have to admit I don't use those tests very often (probably not at all)..  mainly because I am a bit 'so-so' about Telstra apps and facilities which often don't work as expected, or suit customers real needs..  I rely more on Ookla speed test where I need that information as I have an account and can retain results for later comparison..

I am not sure of the real value of a device to modem test from the app..  I haven't really needed that information specifically..  I have other tools to gauge the performance of the local network (which is all it would test?).

Have you made any changes to your end - VPN, network card etc?

Stevo 52
practical

I ususlaly don't run these things, I am just trying to get the best from a bad FTTN service, being on 50/20 plan.

I have no Vpn or done other changes.

Only thing i see at the moment is changes its my phone line quiality,

Noise Margin
10.2 dB 5.6 dB
My uploads speeds seem to be diminishing.
SteveW_52

If you have a Smart Modem 2, you could try forcing it into 4G backup mode (remove the cable from WAN or DSl port and wait a few minutes to get a steady blue indicator).  Then run the tests again over that service to get a comparison. You may need to change the PDP setting for LTE in the modem, to IPv4v6.

You might also try changing the local network DNS to something other than Telstra defaults - try Cloudflare or Google, and see it that is better?

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Unfortunately the results you are getting aren't that uncommon for FTTN services. FTTN is subject to the same distance and copper quality constraints that ADSL is. My FTTN service was 37/17Mbps at its best before I ditched the NBN entirely.

What is the best upload speed that you have seen on your service? NBN Co has to investigate if it either drops below 4Mbps (the basic standard service 25/4) or if it halves from what the line has previously been capable of (probably neither of which helps you at the moment).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
practical

I wonderd about changing that setting to IPv4v6 in 4g mode, mine is set to IPv6. 

Turns out I have a line fault and a tech appointment is set, so i will see that goes.

SteveW_52

It is worth at least try that PDP change in 4G mode, to see if it is better for you...

Stevo 52
realevilcougar

sometimes it helps to know what you should expect when everything works

Noted my Telstra Smart Modem 2 router (Arcadyan LH1000), actually logs remote management connection had occurred, around the time I initiated the service healthcheck at 14:47 Hrs (2:47pm)

Extract from LH1000 logs, showing messages generated around time service health check initiated

11.11.2021 14:47:17 TR069: Received connection request
11.11.2021 14:47:17 TR069: Sending 6 CONNECTION REQUEST inform to ACS: 2001:8006:3100:2100::1.
11.11.2021 14:47:17 TR069: Received InformResponse
11.11.2021 14:47:17 TR069: Received GetParameterValues
11.11.2021 14:47:17 TR069: Sending GetParameterValuesResponse
11.11.2021 14:47:17 TR069: Session end.

Screen shot of service health check results in My Telstra App, initiated at approx. 14:47 Hrs

practical

I'm getting an nbn connection pass, but modem comes back as fail now.  Tech support says all three modems I have tested come back as fail.

Noticing that noise margin download is dropping and upload is slowly rising.

U 10.4 dB  D 4.8 dB

They both are usually around 6dB being on coexistance.
practical

Still having issues have tried 3 telsta modems with support, Telsta have cancelled NBN appointment.

Thought would try non-telstra modem (tplink form TPG) and getting same results,

My line does not seem to be able to match the max rate.  The noticable difference is that upload has dropped recently, i was always getting max upload of 11.  

$95 for this. and 4g backup is Poor (-115 dBm) on modem.

realevilcougar

Okay so your not having issues with using the "service health check", but you are having issues with your NBN internet service.

Reading your latest post, if you have tested 3 different Telstra modems and one non-telstra modem, personally I would be asking Telstra support to organise an NBN tech on site to diagnose further.

Also recommend, once everything is working as you expect, you note down your NBN plan summary, eg NBN technology FTTN/FTTP/FTTB/HFC and NBN plan NBN50,NBN100 etc, what measurements are when everything is good, eg current/max rate, snr, line attenuation etc. That way you can use it in future when your service deviates from expected behaviour. Trust me that will make it simpler when seeking help/advice in future

practical

Thank you for your reply. 

I gave them all the information you advised over the past week. I tested the three modems with the help of telstra support, they booked in an appointment then got cancelled by nbn.

PoppySean
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there, have you engaged with the tech support team since the NBN appointment was cancelled?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

practical

Yes. it's ongoing.

Nat_Cracker
Support Team
Support Team

Ok, what have the tech support team advised so far? Have they re-escalated the problem to nbn?

practical

They just run 24hr test all time. Everything seems to be working from their end and still my connection out of whack with no advice.

I did have had NBN come out and fix this one line a few times in the past as it deteriorates. I have two lead-in cables at this address and they both performed well enough for FTTN at 920meters from node. Only one of the lines now and then has a corrosion issue at this one pit up the street, which NBN tech people have informed me in the past will be an issue. They reconnect the wire and say "it should be good for a while".

I keep running into this issue, support and NBN runs line tests, does not show there is a problem. Then eventually after a few cancelled appointments someone comes out and says "ok, you have a problem as it’s old copper".

The problem is trying to get someone to have a look, it's always been this same long process. 

Nat_Cracker
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there, just checking in to see how this is going. Did tech support give you a reference number?

practical

This was appointment number INC 16594398.

I raised a new number INC 16664909.

Nat_Cracker
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks - and it can be difficult to get someone from nbn to attend site especially if the initial remote testing is 'passing'. They will usually account for your equipment (modem, cable, device etc) to reduce the attainable speed and will not see your result as the service performing outside specification. If this is the case and the infrastructure cannot support a higher speed and there are no plans to upgrade your area I would start looking into a mobile broadband option (if you have good mobile reception).

practical

Just talked to Support again, it's a bridge tap error. Find it strange as I have only one socket in the house and had wiring redone for NBN fttn.

Got a booking again with NBN for next week INC16695279.  

I have had a look into mobile broadband option, we have 5G here but poor (-115 dBm) reception.

LauraBee
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for confirming that for us! Hopefully this booking will get things back up and running for you. Lowered reception can make it a bit harder to find a mobile alternative, was there a specific option you were looking into? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

practical

I was looking into 5g home broadband but it's not available or may be reception issue, is the response I get when I put my address into site.  Funny, as I am 1.3km from 5g mobile tower.

We may be a part of the NBN FTTN to FTTP upgrade, but nothing certain there.

If all fails with NBN https://www.starlink.com might be good option in future.

practical

As usual INC16695279 is now showing a resolved status.  I will now contact support and I will get usual response that NBN has canceled. Have no notifications and I am having internet issues still.

practical

Confirmed with support, NBN has cancelled again.

Asked for stability profile to be removed few times now and it does not seem to work or change the line rate.

it's strange that my current line rate is exactly 8920 Up and 42792 Down, this is taken today. As from post at top it's the same even after I have restarted modem, using different modems, phone cables and does not matter time of day.

My max rate shows 11811 up and 49829 Down but can't achieve this?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit