Level 4: Private Eye

Service Status

Answered

Is it just me or is it hard to find information with regards to general service status.

I have gone to the normal place and put the post code in etc, but only returned the normal planned maintenance issues.

What I was after was why the latency has trippled to SE Asia in the past week or so.

Had to go to Whirlpool and other ISP's have the information on their site which is supplied by Telstra.

Could someone point me in the right direction for future reference.

Below is what I found on Internode site.

Thanks in advance

Advisory 10598 - Higher Latency to AsiaSeveritySourceStartEndSummaryServicesAreasDetails

Medium
Telstra
Sun Oct 28 05:05:00 2012
TBA
Higher Latency to Asia
All Services
International
Due to maintenance on the undersea cable between Perth and Singapore, some customers may notice higher latency and packet loss to some Asian destinations. 

The work is planned to conclude on the 2nd November.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Service Status

Ben_F wrote:

To be fair Drat, if Telstra have released the information to their Wholesale Providers, it should be accessable to Retail Smiley Happy

And, for all I know, Telstra Wholesale has probably released the information to BigPond (as just another TW customer), and it's up to BigPond's policy to decide whether it is considered relevant and/or of impact to retail BigPond services, and warrant being noted on the service status page.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Community Alumni (Retired)

Interesting, I've checked the TWS status page:

http://servicestatus.telstra.com/wholesale/current.do

and its not listed there either. Regretuflly I don't have access to my old Wholesale digital certs at the moment to see if its in the Customer Portal, but if TW customers have it it should be reported on servicestatus.telstra.com

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Thanks Ben, yes it is quite strange as I know it's a very broad issue affecting allot of people yet Telstra have no information what so ever with regards to this.

Maybe because it affects mostly gaming and not general download / webpage loading speeds?

Anyways, I do find that this is a bit poor on Telstra side of things, hope they improve on this in future.

I'll bookmark that site in your post as well, thanks for that. Smiley Happy

Don't bother its all been moved behind an access wall (thats an old link).

Checked the Planned Network Outages behind said wall (lets say someone forgot to revoke access to stuff that I shouldn't be able to see) and that outage isn't listed, so dunno were node got their data from as its not in the TW database and its not on the Service Status page.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Derrick wrote:
What I was after was why the latency has trippled to SE Asia in the past week or so.
Derrick wrote:

… it is quite strange as I know it's a very broad issue affecting allot of people yet Telstra have no information what so ever with regards to this.

Maybe because it affects mostly gaming and not general download / webpage loading speeds?

Quite frankly, network latency is simply not one of the criteria by which consumer (or even ‘basic’ business) broadband services are assessed for fitness-for-purpose, as far as how the service is defined and offered for sale to the market, and hence there is no reason for Telstra/BigPond to acknowledge and list any significant changes to average network latency as an exception on its general service status page(s), even if you/gamers/individual customers may feel the quality of the network access service and/or the usability of selected user applications (including games) is/are compromised by increased latency.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

To be fair Drat, if Telstra have released the information to their Wholesale Providers, it should be accessable to Retail Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Accepted Solution

Ben_F wrote:

And, for all I know, Telstra Wholesale has probably released the information to BigPond (as just another TW customer), and it's up to BigPond's policy to decide whether it is considered relevant and/or of impact to retail BigPond services, and warrant being noted on the service status page.

——

View solution in original post

Either way, I had to go to a rival ISP and another forum to find the information that they found relevant enough to inform their community, so to me somethign is lacking.

Thanks for the feedback Smiley Happy

Level 5: Eagle Eye

The Ironic State of the Service Status of Service Status

IMG_3983.png

111111111^2 = 12345678987654321

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit