hamzie
Level 2: Rookie

Signed up for ADSL2+. Receiving ADSL2 from the exchange

I was signed up with a resale dsl line from optus.

I always received ADSL2+ from the exchange

About a month ago something change and I was only receiving ADSL2 from the exchange, which a telstra technician sent by optus confirmed.

As optus couldnt resolve the issue they released me from the contract.

Before signing up with telstra I asked if I would definitely be getting ADSL2+ from the exchange and the salesman said I would

I got connected today, and sadly its the same case that was with optus... I am only getting ADSL2 from the exchange.

If I set my DSL modulation on my router to force an ADSL2+ connection, my router doesnt pick up a connection

If i set the DSL modulation to AUTO, it resorts to ADSL2 

(Type:ADSL_G.dmt.bis)

It is not an issue with the router as it can connect to adsl2+ 

Even the telstra router can only sync on an adsl2 connection

I called telstra support and literally the words of the support were ''the difference between adsl2 and adsl2+ is literally a plus, thats it whats the difference)

The difference is me being sync'd at 11 mbps as opposed to 21 when I was getting an adsl2+ from the exchange (The exchange is on my street)

And a telstra technician himself tested it and said im only getting an adsl2 service

I dont know where to go from here as the person on the phone didnt think the issue warranted assistance. 

The reference i was given was int1-1071212240505

I am on the MILL:620 exchange which has adsl2+ ports avail

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt.bis

Annex Type:Annex A

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors(Pkts)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Signed up for ADSL2+. Receiving ADSL2 from the exchange

An issue with the line could cause the modem to refuse to connect on ADSL2+ and roll back to ADSL. If there is too much interference on the line, then this is a default procedure built in to all modems.

Try disconnecting all other pieces of equipment from you line (phone, filters, splitters), restart your modem and see if that makes any sort of difference.

If not, then it is probably something out in the street causing the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
hamzie

When the telstra technician came he said it was adsl2 from the exchange. He even changed ports but it made no difference
hamzie

Disconnected the other equipment but it made no difference. Could it still be the line if my attenuation and noise are excellent
Jupiter

It won't make a difference if the problem is between the exchange and your house. The copper is still the same.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

Have they started to roll out NBN FTTN services in your area.

The difference between ADSL 2 and ADSL 2+ is that it bandwidth extends into higher frequencies which is also used by FTNN. If there are FTTN services it could cause the DSLAM in the exchange to drop back to ADSL 2 to prevent interference

hamzie

It says planned on the nbn site. Build hasn't commenced yet
hamzie

Spoke to three different people including the supervisor and they all stated adsl2 and adsl2+ are exactly the same and there is no need for a technician

Im dying

cf4

They are not the same. ADSL2+ uses twice the line bandwidth of ADSL 2 and delivers twice the maximum download speed.

ADSL2 frequencies.png

hamzie

They wouldnt budge 

I was laughing on the phone at how wrong they were but they 100% believed they were absolutely the same

Ended up saying send a technician.. if im wrong i will pay the 260 call out fee

So they agreed to it

I just hope the technician is smarter 

hamzie

Just an update

Telstra customer service are doubting there is anything wrong with the service and so have organised a Telstra Plat technician to come to my place..

I was told they dont have access to the exchange so not entirely sure why a Platiinum technician is coming over...

But anyway I can just show the DSL modulation on the router, and that the router wont connect if I force the DSL modulation to be ADSL2+.

Just want to be prepared in case he says its a problem with the router.. 

I have the telstra Sagecom Fast 5355. Is there a place in the router where it shows you the dsl modulation type like it does on tp link routers like this

cf4

Yes Log into router http://10.0.0.138 default password is admin

Its under Advanced > Gateway Settings > Devic Info > General

Scroll down to xDSL

There are no settings for changing the modulation type.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit