MissMax
Level 2: Rookie

signed up for mobile broadband and 2 months later told not entitled to discount

I signed up by phone for mobile broadband at $30 for Liberty 4GB.  After 2 months of trouble losing all emails contacts addresses putting up with dropouts at the wrong times, and fixing up settings that tech people said were a Telstra problem from migrating over to Microsoft Live, I received a letter saying I was not entitled to the $10 discount as I did not have 3 telstra services.  I rang and was told that since I had telstra landline and broadband, my mobile was not included as it was telstra business even though it is in my name and not a business name.  This was never explained to me in the sign up and now after the 30 days is over, they want $10 extra per month.  Nowhere on the website does it say that it all has to be home and not business.  I was on satellite with faulty equipment before this but the service is the same speeds and dropouts.  I also had no contracts and now stuck with a 24 month contract and $10 more.  I am now tempted to go to the Ombudsman.  I am in a rural area with little choice however now I feel I am held to ransome. Anyone with the same experience?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
mokatron
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: signed up for mobile broadband and 2 months later told not entitled to discount

Judging by that, the TIO might not be a bad way to go, but I'd make sure you haven't missed any fine print first. I don't think Telstra would miss something like that when offering a discount, not to mention private customers only.

At the very least, you should get some compensation for all the dropouts.

mok

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
MissMax

Re: signed up for mobile broadband and 2 months later told not entitled to discount

There was no fine print as the deal was done over the phone.
MissMax

I was also told that the computer finds the mistakes and contacts customers up to 2 years that they are not entitled to the discount. Still unsure as to having to back pay the unentitled discount but too late to back out of the contract as they seem to make sure the 30 days is up before they let you know.
lstanis
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi MissMax

Please look at my posts under lstanis.  I experienced the same issues as you - the salesman promises one thing and some other joker at Telstra then contacts you -some time later - to tell you that what you were sold was something else and that you are not entitled to what you originally purchased.

You are right, they are a dishonest and the most worrying thing is that I think its actually a company policy.  My suggestion, go to the ombudsman and also publicise their dishonesty as much as possible.

In relation to my issue, I'll be ringing radio stations in a couple of days to warn other people about Telstra and their shonky tactics.

Frankly, its time they got broken up as they have too much power and control - or the board and the management needs to learn about honesty and integrity.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@lstanis wrote:

Hi MissMax

Please look at my posts under lstanis.  I experienced the same issues as you - the salesman promises one thing and some other joker at Telstra then contacts you -some time later - to tell you that what you were sold was something else and that you are not entitled to what you originally purchased.

All calls made by Telstra Telemarketers are recorded, and can be provided in the event there is a dispute. I had a similar issue, I requested that it be escalated, they found the notes/recording and they are now fixing the issue. It took a General Manager to do it, but its getting done.

@lstanis wrote: 

You are right, they are a dishonest and the most worrying thing is that I think its actually a company policy.  My suggestion, go to the ombudsman and also publicise their dishonesty as much as possible.

I suppose you have evidence that there is a company policy to break the law? Their Group Code of Conduct lists a Core Value as being "Integrity and Trust - I will be honest and ethical in all my dealings with others. Compliance with the law is my minimum standard. I will trust my colleagues and rely on them in order to achieve business success."

@lstanis wrote:

In relation to my issue, I'll be ringing radio stations in a couple of days to warn other people about Telstra and their shonky tactics.

Alan Jones? That will really help, I thought talkback radio was heavily sponsored by Telstra?

@lstanis wrote: 

Frankly, its time they got broken up as they have too much power and control

NBN is coming... 🙂

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit