bullockornis
Level 6: Bloodhound

Site blocking not Working

we've a 'technicolor' or something like that router.  tg799, is that it? something like that.  and the site blocking is not working.  trying to block the children's machines.  I thought it was working when I tested yesterday. I see it quite definitely is not working today. Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Site blocking not Working

Can you post a screenshot of the rules that you've applied? Sometimes the rules fail because you enter times that go past midnight eg 8pm-6am. You need to split them up into 8pm-12am and 12am-6am blocks.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
bullockornis

site blocking.  not device blocking.  no times apply.

Jupiter

Ok. Sorry, misread that.

The Site Blocking via the modem is fairly easy to circumvent (even by 8 year olds - my niece is an expert at it). Ended up having to lock down her access by changing the admin privileges on her devices and then using other controls (eg Microsoft Family Safety) to control what she could access by her login accounts.

You may need to check that the following haven't changed on the device:

MAC address

DNS addresses (if it's not using the modem as the DNS it can bypass the restrictions)

VPN active (will bypass the modem's checks)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

What is the make & model of the device you are trying to block?

Many new devices and OS's allow for random MAC addresses, which might be why your rule is being bypassed. I must admit I don't see the safety value in that particular 'feature'  especially with the internet not being a safe place for kids to play in...

Check the device itself to see if random MAC's are enabled and also the list of connected devices in the modem to see if you can work out what is happening. For each new MAC you see for the device, you need to add a rule..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
bullockornis

thanks, I'll check those things.  As easy as that to get around telstra's 'parental controls' ? I doubt he's done that but I'll check and I'll start looking at some other way, then. Give him his own logon on that pc (which is a sort of 'family' pc) and make those limit part of his profile somehow.  better go to a win10 forum and find the best way for that I guess.

Changing DNS is just too easy.

Jupiter

Look at Microsoft Family Safety that is what I use for my kids. Works very well on Windows as it's tied to their login using a Microsoft account.

bullockornis

thanks for that. I will. how does it get around 'their account' password problem. i.e. if it is their account they can change the password and lock you out.  Or (as my children have done) lock themselves out, too. 

I will look into it. thank you.  🙂

Jupiter

Changing the password will lock you out of their account (ie. you can't login to see exactly what they are doing), but it doesn't stop you from being able to apply restrictions to the use of the account.

Unfortunately Microsoft Family Safety doesn't give you an "all-encompassing" account management tool.

For resetting passwords, you need to set up the recovery options for their accounts so that the request has to go through a device that you have control of (mobile phone via either SMS or the Microsoft Authenticator app work well). When they get older, you can remove the controls and they can take control of their own online life.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit