JLRobbo
Level 2: Rookie

Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Answered

Hi,

In the past few weeks my ADSL2+ speed at home has been very slow.

Everything from Youtube, Steam/Blizzard Game downloads and P2P connections have been very slow. No disconnections just slow.

Up until very recently at my current address I was getting roughly ~10mb/s result to Australian servers on speedtest.net & 1mb-1.7mb/s on Steam Download servers.

Now in the past 2 weeks I am getting results as low as 1mb/s on speedtest & no faster than 350kb/s on Steam.

I have done isolation tests and troubleshooting as per normal but nothing is yielding better results.

I have turned off wi-fi and run only ethernet to my PC with no improvement. I use a Telstra provided Technicolor TG587n v3 modem which I have also reset to factory settings and updated.

I have also changed my noise profile once, but changed it back to Standard as there was no difference in results.

I live only about 500metres from the exchange. 

Any help would be great.

Kind Regards, Robbo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JLRobbo
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow ADSL2+ Speed

I have checked my modem settings more carefully and it turns out its a connection type issue.

The telstra modem had an easy install options which I may have used awhile back after a factory reset.

It changed the connection type to a IPoE connection instead of a PPPoE or PPPoA (now using this)

My speeds on speedtest.net went from 2mbs to 20mbs to Brisbane Servers & 10mbs to USA

and my steam downloads went from 350kbs to 2.3mbs

FOR OTHER PEOPLE CHECK YOUR SETTING ON TELSTRA MODEMS... MAKE SURE YOU DO AN ADVANCED SETUP AND DO NOT USE IPoE IF POSSIBLE.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
type3
Level 6: Bloodhound

if you are only 500m from the exchange with adsl2 you should be about 10meg or better.

you will not need any noise profiles.  standard is best for you.

what does your phone line sound like ???  any noise, crackle or hum ???

a problem with the phone line is a good indicator that there is a fault on the line.  this most times can affect your speed.

if you have done isolation tests etc then ring bigpond and get them to check the line for faults.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello

Here is a link to do an Isolation Test, which Telstra technical support will very possibly ask you to do and ring back.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Hope that helps

Cheers 

Professor Phone

I'm not a Telstra employee.  I have been a mobile subscriber since 1963.

If my advice has been helpful, a Kudo  "tick"    would be most appreciated.

If my advice has solved your problem, please also mark it as a Solution.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
JLRobbo
Accepted Solution

I have checked my modem settings more carefully and it turns out its a connection type issue.

The telstra modem had an easy install options which I may have used awhile back after a factory reset.

It changed the connection type to a IPoE connection instead of a PPPoE or PPPoA (now using this)

My speeds on speedtest.net went from 2mbs to 20mbs to Brisbane Servers & 10mbs to USA

and my steam downloads went from 350kbs to 2.3mbs

FOR OTHER PEOPLE CHECK YOUR SETTING ON TELSTRA MODEMS... MAKE SURE YOU DO AN ADVANCED SETUP AND DO NOT USE IPoE IF POSSIBLE.

View solution in original post

GeorgeQ
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the tip. I recently migrated to Telstra ADSL2+ only to find out that it is slower than my previous ADSL speeds with a different supplier (unposible one would have thought).

I have the new TG799vac modem, any tips on how to change from IPOE to PPPOE or PPPOA? I have played around for a while but can't find where it is. I suspect its locked away behind the pretty front end they gave us.

67Mustang

Aug/sept 2015.
We have been getting really slow adsl 2+ lately. With new Ethernet cables installed throughout the house and a new modem installed T gateway the speed was not to bad at 9- 10 Mbp/s for a little while. All of a sudden we are pushing to get 5Mbp/s and 0.4 to 0.8 Mbp/s upload. I reset the modem and wiped it clean from all traffic Logs and firewall filters.
Check the speeds again as it still slow around 4 -5 MBps with no change.
I suspect that with all this promoting ISP services providing Netflix, presto and another movie streaming services it's not providing network traffic loading balancing and affecting others that that use it.
Has anyone else been experiencing the same? Would like your thoughts please.
shadykins

We are experiencing the same issue - ADSL 2 seems to have slowed right down. Suspect it due to network congestion from Netflix etc. We are getting 2-2.5 Mbp/s when we were getting 5Mbp/s previously. 

RidgeView

I'm in the Bowral (2576) area and my download speed is - going down! Used to get 6.1mps --- today at several different times it is less than 1.1mps. I'm a tech so tried reboots, line isolation etc etc - no change.... This happened a few times previously and Service Status never shows it on the webpage ...
wildstorm

K I think I know the answer

check your modem on lime and  check 

if you modem says 

maxium line rate 1.12mbps up and down 16.8 mbps  

then this is where the mistake is

it should be 

maxium line rate 1.12mbps up and down 25.0 mbps  

as adsl=2 is 25 not 16

JimK1

Hi

Has anyone else experienced very very slow ADSL2+ speeds in the Yokine, WA area?

My Telstra account lists my connection as "Fast - ADSL2+", hahaha

With a current download speed of 0.3 Megabits, yes 0.3Mbps....I will leave it up to you to make up your own mind whether this is "Fast - ADSL2+".

Telstra tells me it's a congestion problem!!!

Regards

Jim

Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jim, 

Thanks for contacting us. There technology restrictions with ADSL.  ADSL is an older technology and not designed for the high usage we use now. One of the reasons we also have the NBN roll out is due to this. If tests have not shown any issues with your line and a new modem has not improved the speed, this may be the fastest available at your home sorry. There may be slower times during peak periods too. We will always place customers on the fastest available. You may wish to look at NBN or Cable broadband for a faster fixed service.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

wends

I'm sorry that is not a good enough answer -  not eveyone has NBN or are close to getting it Telstra new this techonlogy was coming so why didn't the get anhead of it do something to look after the current customers until we can change over.  My internet has been good up unitl Wednesday 1st Feb 2017 then all of a suden it so slow it takes 3 minutes to or there about search the Web & each time I click on a page it takes another 2 minuites to load so what do I do NOW.......................

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@wends - If you have noticed your speed slowing suddenly, the first thing that we suggest customers check is if the service has been slowed for any reason. This can be done by logging into My Account or checking the Telstra 24x7 app.

Once you confirm that your service has not been slowed, the next step is to eliminate Wi-Fi interference as a possible cause by testing the speed on a device connected to the modem via Ethernet cable.  To make sure you are getting an accurate assessment of the speed available to the whole service, make sure any additional devices are disconnected or turned off. This includes TVs and gaming consoles.

If there is no change, the next step is to eliminate possible equipment within your home. To do this, disconnect all devices that are connected into the phone sockets, except for the modem. If the modem connects through an ADSL filter, remove that as filters can also become faulty.

If you are still experiencing the slow speeds, you should contact Tech Support on 133 933 or via Live Chat using: http://tel.st/gq6m

The following links provide more information on troubleshooting speed and Wi-Fi issues.

How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues

Wi-Fi Troubleshooting

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit